Livejournal's Russian owners announce new anti-LGBT policy, fandom stages mass exodus

So, if a man has a discussion one day with his husband (or a woman with her wife) and wants to post that on his/her LiveJournal, that post has to be flagged as “adult material.”

If someone wants to talk about how canon an author’s unwritten interpretation is, and use J.K. Rowling’s post-novels revelation that Dumbledore was gay as an example… that’s “adult material.”

If GRRM wants to post about a book that he wants to see nominated for the Hugo awards that has a LBGTQ protagonist, that’s “adult material.”

How is any of this okay?

11 Likes

Adding to @nimelennar’s examples, there are support groups for LGBTQ teenagers on LJ. Under the new rules these need to be marked as unsuitable for children, meaning that they can’t be accessed by their target audience.

This isn’t about protecting children. This is state and church sponsored psychological child abuse.

9 Likes

I understand quite well[quote=“the_borderer, post:78, topic:98588”]
We are leaving LJ and letting them know exactly why.
[/quote]

And here’s the issue.
When I was brought up, If you didn’t like a Tv show you turned the channel.
You didn’t piss and moan to the Tv or the network.
If you didn’t like a movie, you got up and left. Again not acting butthurt about it.
If you didn’t like a play, You got up and left. Not yelling at those on stage.
Didn’t like a meal at a restaurant? Ask for a refund and leave instead of throwing a fit.

You voted with your patronage/cash as is being done with the [quote=“the_borderer, post:78, topic:98588”]
“exodus”
[/quote] you speak of.

The hate being directed at the owners of the site who must follow their country’s law’s is a tad silly.
You are a user. Not a sites creator/sysop and at the end of the day, the only site that you can do as you wish is the site you create/pay for.

1 Like

I seem to lack the sense of corporate servility that seems to have been instilled in you.

If a bunch of bigots tell me I don’t belong where I already am, I don’t give up. I fight. That is what I am doing with LJ. I am also setting up the move elsewhere, if the fight is lost.

If a bunch of bigots tell me to get rid of some people that they don’t think belong here, I tell them to fuck off. Sadly LJ are not giving the Arkell vs Pressdram response to Russia

Quietly moving on just encourages them to take more liberties.

Who quietly and voluntarily moved their servers to the country with objectionable laws only in the last few months. They had a choice. They could have moved the entire business to a different country. Instead they moved it all to Russia.

Anyways, enjoy your life of being told what you can do by the unelected. That is not a life I can live, so I fight it.

I’ve had enough here, you obviously won’t change your mind.

7 Likes

LiveJournal took affirmative steps to make sure that they were covered by Russian law. Why they did so, I’m not entirely sure, but the “change of venue” was a choice, not an inevitability.

6 Likes

Even the TOS before the takeover were similar … http://web.archive.org/web/20150215074905/http://www.livejournal.com/legal/tos.bml

So as you say, it has nothing to do with LJ … It’s just about Russia . Well, don’t worry, Trump will probably bomb them soon and after you can post whatever you want on LiveJournal and be really happy …

They didn’t have boycotts when you were young?

You must be quite old. Boycotts have been around, pretty much continuously, for a long time.

Here’s the relevant bit:

Flagging Adult Content and Accounts: LiveJournal is committed to maintaining the Service in a manner that is reasonably acceptable to all audiences, but cannot be held responsible for the monitoring or filtering of any Content found on the Service. You are fully responsible for all Content you post on the Service and should keep in mind that the lower age limit for use of the Service is 13 years old. You are encouraged under the TOS to flag ALL Content and/or Accounts that contain adult themes and images, including, but not limited to, nudity, sexual acts, crime, violence, and/or illicit subject matter, regardless of artistic merit or newsworthy purpose. You understand and agree that LiveJournal may, at its sole discretion, flag, restrict access or delete said Content at any time without prior notice without assuming liability for any damages or legal claims associated with the posting of said Content on the Service. Should the Content be deemed illegal under U.S. law, you understand and agree that LiveJournal has the right to share your personal information and submit all necessary information to, and cooperate with, the proper U.S. authorities;

There’s nothing there about restricting things based on “promoting LGBTQ lifestyles.” Bringing the site into compliance with Russian laws, on the other hand, does impose that restriction.

8 Likes

Oh, I like some Russians.

Mikhail Bakunin, Peter Kropotkin, Emma Goldman, Pussy Riot, you get the idea.

It’s just the authoritarians and nationalists I don’t like, same as any other country.

8 Likes

If a bunch of site owners…
Do I sense some sort of entitlement here? Because you posted on some website you think you have some sort of say in that website?

You know what? you are right I won’t because I don’t get the vapors when a website does something I don’t like.
I move along taking any ad impressions/cash flow with me.

1 Like

Why yes they did. Nam, Social injustice enabled by the government blah blah blah.
This is a product, A website.
Slight difference there :wink:

Just a sense of anarchism. The ideal end point will be that no-one owns LJ, or any other business.

3 Likes

User-generated content hosts owe a debt to their contributors, whom the poor soul who sneered at is. Behold, a dutiful contributor who spent their time to share their words to help others, being driven away from their own damn content by bigots.

Maybe if you actually created things you’d be able to empathize.

2 Likes

The right to exist and defend oneself against bigotry is an entitlement? Really?

5 Likes

Awww how cute.
I was Fixing/Making in the mid 70’s.

But hey… Generalize all you want.

3 Likes

Go read what @the_borderer stated below… er, above. As usual, they are on the mark.

So, how about answering my question about the existence of LBGQT people and their rights?

4 Likes

Where does that even come close to saying what you are trying to imply?
I was referencing how people feel entitled if they contribute to a website that they do not own.

I think one of us is confused about what a boycott is.

To my understanding, a boycott is a group of people saying, “I don’t use this product, and you shouldn’t either, because…”

Generally it’s done because that company/group is doing something you don’t like, and you want to hit them in their pocketbooks in order to try to force them to change their minds.

Which is exactly what people are doing to LiveJournal.

Nam, social injustice, etc. … You’re describing actual civil protests, against the government, which I think are a distinct thing from (though sometimes done in concert with) a boycott, and, as far as I’ve heard, are not happening here.

4 Likes

A website the depends on users content. By shifting their policies they are actively discriminating against a particular group of people. Would you say the same if they made any content on race restricted?

5 Likes