Livejournal's Russian owners announce new anti-LGBT policy, fandom stages mass exodus

And that sucks. I hope you were smart to back that stuff up. but as you use a VPN I’m sure that the case.

Sadly, morals don’t pay the server bills.

That’s true but one can reverse that also.

I have backups now, thanks to Web Archive and HTTrack. I could launch a cloned copy of that forum today. Oddly, I even own the domain name that forum uses. Hmm… Ideas.

Users posting and reading pays the bills. Said user is moving content and posting as to why they did so. Is doing that wrong, if as a result of their post, fewer visit LJ in the future?

1 Like

No, They are cutting off a huge hunk of revenue for what they say is to comply with their laws/T.O.S.
I would assume being a Russian business person the last thing you would want is to have Putin unhappy with you. You will lose more than some Ad impressions.

It’s still discriminating against a group of people.

5 Likes

I agree with you. I find Russia’s handling of LGBTQ issues appalling.
I also find this country’s (USA) handling of LGBTQ issues appalling.

Least here some inroads are being made and you can still protest a governments polices/actions without being dragged off ( well that’s changing too )

So we get to this:
Russia’s Laws/polices must be followed by Russian citizens.
Russia’s Laws/polices regarding LGBTQ issues = The BAD
Russian citizens having to follow those rules to remain in business/alive = The BAD

So what does common sense call for you may ask?
Let’s PROTEST The Russian governments Laws/polices = The GOOD
Let’s BOYCOTT a site for it’s owners following their governments Laws/polices = The GOOD?

Yes, boycotting a site that enforces an immoral, unjust law is good. I suggest you read the Declaration of Independence of Cyberspace.

3 Likes

Bigotry doesn’t bother you? Gosh, that must be nice to live on a tiny island.

A bus recently drove through my city plastered with propaganda claiming that transgender people do not exist, passing out flyers filled with bigoted BS. I don’t own that bus, or have any stake in it. Am I not entitled to protest the bus driving through my neighborhood?

Or let’s say that my local coffeeshop has a message board where people can leave notes and flyers and posters and such. A new guy takes over and says “from now on, any posters for bands with gay-looking people in them are getting torn down, and if I find out who put them there, I’ll beat you up.” Wouldn’t the longtime customers be right to be a bit upset by this draconian, bigoted new rule, and want to protest it with pride flags and other such things to piss off the jerk making these new rules?

9 Likes

No I understand.
What I’m having issues with is this:
The site is owned by Russian citizens who must obey Russian law/polices.
So, Do you:
A: Protest the Russian governments laws/polices?
B: Boycott a website because it’s owners must follow unfair laws?

Honestly, What business person would actively seek out to destroy their income base?

You vent your spleen at the Russian government. They are the one’s with the laws/polices in place.

Sure it does. bothered me all through school as my thick Swedish accent ( Yes I’m a immigrant ) was fodder for every Swedish Chef joke in the book for years. ( The 70’s ya know )
And yes, I was told more than once to “Go back where you came from”

It bother’s me now…

So if corporations aid and abet discriminatory policies, they get a pass?

7 Likes

You equate following your country’s laws and wanting to stay free/alive to aiding and abetting?

Okay. I guess we’re done. Have a good one.

6 Likes

Bullshit. You vent your spleen at the company that’s made a voluntary decision to subject themselves to those laws and push for them to change.

7 Likes

Wow…
You do understand we’re talking about Russia/Putin here?
You piss on Putins Wheaties as a business person you tend to have all assets seized and you not being seen again.

The site’s owners are going to be taking a huge loss of income here. That’s a fact.

And yes push for change. That works well in country’s like the US. But this is Russia we’re talking about. In that culture, Business’s and business people didn’t answer to the consumer. They answered to the government. And it’s the same today.

Yes. I’m referring to their decision to move their servers to Russia, not to their decision to adhere to the laws of Russia. They can move their servers OUT of Russia should they choose to. It’s entirely in their hands to locate themselves somewhere that causes these issues for their company.[quote=“GrymRpr, post:118, topic:98588”]
But this is Russia we’re talking about.
[/quote]

No, it’s LiveJournal we’re talking about. But feel free to keep talking about Russia.

10 Likes

Exactly. Nobody forced LiveJournal’s owners to move their servers and their company to Russia, a country who isn’t exactly known for their enlightenment on LGBTQIA issues. And nobody’s saying they shouldn’t follow the laws of their new land.

But, as a consequence of that move and their policy change, they are losing customers who refuse to publish their content with a company following discriminatory policies. That has nothing to do with “entitlement”. That is how business works.

Now, if enough former customers tell LiveJournal why they’re taking their content elsewhere-- and they have every right to do so-- then perhaps, as a consequence, LiveJournal may respond to the loss of business and move to a different country where such discrimination is not imposed by force of law. Or maybe they will lose enough customers and wind up going bankrupt. That too is a part of business.

8 Likes

Of course they could have.
Would that have made the site owners any less Russian citizens?

Who’s owner’s are Russian and subject to the laws of their land.

Props for the brand-new Dany THIS. Just saw that promo five minutes ago and it’s already a meme!

5 Likes

I swiped it off the comments on io9, to be honest. :grin:

3 Likes

You realize that using “cuck” as an insult makes you look like an alt.right nazi?

4 Likes