Lockdown ends on Generic Folk Horror Island

Originally published at: Lockdown ends on Generic Folk Horror Island | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Needs more bees. Or blood eagles. Or blood bees?

13 Likes

I think it makes a perfectly lovely transsubstantiation

4 Likes

It’s kind of hurtful, how bias taints people’s judgement. A culture of peace, plenty; a close, devoted community caring for one another, and all people seem to think about is that one outsider that gets burned alive. Boo-hoo, snowflakes.

29 Likes

Or Eaglebees; a perfectly lovely family from Martha’s Vineyard.

6 Likes

I know, right? Where do those pecksniffs think all that peace and plenty comes from, anyway?

14 Likes

Are there really enough of these movies for these elements to be considered generic? There is The Wicker Man and its remake. Midsommar is pretty similar. Anything else?

4 Likes

Was thinking the same thing. This is literally just Wicker Man, plus maybe the grandpa scene but even that might have been in there.

There definitely are other movies in this genre, and a few of these tropes also appear in those movies, but basically this is Wicker Man in every panel.

That out of the way, here’s a few others that have elements of the style of Folk Horror portrayed in the comic:

• The Ritual (more toward the end)
  • The Witch (or The VVitch if you prefer)
  • Southbound (especially in one particular segment near the middle)
  • The Endless
  • Children of the Corn
  • Spiral (2021)
  • Shadow Over Innsmouth*

[*] it has technically been made into a show, but most people don’t know it in that form

3 Likes

That one episode of Supernatural with the harvest-blessing scarecrow.

1 Like

Little House on the Prairie.

12 Likes
  • The Dark Secret of Harvest Home
  • Equinox (Danish series, 2020)
  • The Owl Service, arguably
4 Likes

Recent Sky/HBO series The Third Day fits nicely

2 Likes

The Wicker Man has become infused into British culture, especially as when you scratch the surface of British Christianity there is a lot of paganism that dates back to when the early saints assimilated the local customs and decided that they were about the Holy Trinity, not whatever pagan gods that were originally being worshipped.

7 Likes

The bees on Generic Folk Horror Island are just bees. The Mayor does dress in drag for the burning of the Gifting Owl though, terrifying all the TERFs in the process.

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s why they riffed on it so heavily and effectively in Hot Fuzz, they knew a Brit audience would just get it.
Also, crusty jugglers…

7 Likes

I thought Midsommar was a shitty movie.

Reminds me of a line from Discworld:

“He was a religious traditonalist, which meant when he asked if anyone wanted to pray with him, he meant he planned on winding their entrails around a tree.”

7 Likes

A very different kind of folk horror movie is this one:

It was called The Wakhan Front when I watched it and nominally it’s an Afghan war (occupation) movie but I read it as a folk horror movie set in a very different folk. See the audience don’t like it on Rotten tomatoes. I think they’re wrong, but most horror films don’t interest me. Which is a pity because it sometimes seems that horror and superhero are all the money in the business right now.

1 Like

Martha’s Vineyard of Death.

I’m not going.

2 Likes

FTFY. I’m struggling to think of a place where that isn’t the case.

2 Likes