Lockdown ends on Generic Folk Horror Island

I found the beginning hard to bear. The rest was meh. Too derivative of the Wicker Man without reaching its perfection. But then I’m not a horror movie person.

I know. It’s like how the popular perception of what God looks like is actually just old icons of Zeus/Jupiter that the early church couldn’t get rid of.

Maybe it’s just because I grew up in that culture (I was brought up Anglican, and have Catholic and Presbyterian relatives.)

Going on a tangent, most of the locations in the original Wicker Man are like a second home to me. I had a lot of elderly relatives in those parts of Dumfries and Galloway.

4 Likes

The weird thing is that the Wicker Man takes place in Scotland yet the folk culture being depicted has a distinctly English bend. It’s making me think of the West Country more than anything, and certainly more than the Hebrides, where it takes place. And I don’t think it’s just their magical climate that makes it not very Scottish to me.

I guess it makes sense it was shot in Dumfries and Galloway, that’s a lovely bit of the milder side of Scotland.

3 Likes

Come for the day; stay for the rest of your life.

3 Likes

Certainly it became a genre.

2 Likes

More Wicker Man infused disturbances.

2 Likes

There once was COVID on Nantucket…
(Fill in the rest)

1 Like

Every season of Midsomer Murders has an episode or three with the folk/pagan tradition of a village being the background to, if not the cause of, the murder.

There’s at least 3 “monster of the week” episodes of the X-Files that play off the same tropes.

Race with the Devil fits.

Red State?

Have they never made a movie out of “The Lottery”?

The novel it was based on was set in Cornwall.

5 Likes

It seems like Caesar actually places the Wicker Man tradition in Gaul, doesn’t he?

1 Like

And why Edward Woodward is head of the Neighbourhood Watch

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.