Four folk horror films not to miss

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/24/four-folk-horror-films-not-to-miss.html

2 Likes

I haven’t heard of the recent In the Earth there so I’ll check it out.

I have mentioned here before that the writer of Blood on Satan’s Claw directed a little seen folk horror called The Outcasts. It ran in the cinema for a week in 1983 and was shown on Channel 4 in the UK (and Ireland as pirating the feed was general) and then nothing. I saw it last winter in a free screening because it was restored with EU funds and it’s such a massive outlier in Irish cinema. Film had been shown and made here pretty much since the start of film but no features were made. At all. Let alone something as marginal as this.

4 Likes

[ article posted by Allan Rose Hill ]

5 Likes

This looks amazing!

Looks like it’s here…

Doesn’t look like it’s available via another streamer or via DVD/blu-ray, etc… :sob:

3 Likes

I finally watched “The Wicker Man” in the last year and really, really enjoyed it. What I wasn’t expecting was that for most of its length, the movie is more of a police procedural – a few cool, hair-raising moments, but nothing I’d classify as serious horror.

Of course, the last few minutes are really serious horror and some of the most terrifying stuff put to film…

6 Likes

It’s been a long time since I saw it but perhaps Little Otik?

I remember it being more disturbing than funny, I don’t recall thinking it was a comedy as suggested here.

4 Likes

Definitely caught my interest, too!!

Looks like it will get released…

3 Likes

Probably region-specific, tho. I doubt they’ll release it in the US, sadly, unless Criterion picks it up!

1 Like

This song quotes Blood on Satan’s Claw.

High quality Hauntology!

2 Likes
10 Likes

Dammit yea just saw the fine print: it’s Region B :frowning:

1 Like

I don’t watch a lot of horror movies but I thought this one had a pretty interesting take on the genre, being in bright sunlight pretty much the whole time:

6 Likes

2 Likes

Oh christ, that movie… Ben Wheatley man… WTF?!?

2 Likes

Four movies:

1. The Wicker Man
  2. The Wicker Man
  3. Blood on Satan’s Claw
  4. The Witch

Am I missing something…?

3 Likes

Follow the link in the article
“The Daily Grail’s John Reppion writes about three more flicks at the intersection of paganism”
for the fourth film, In The Earth

I’ve only seen The Wicker Man and The Witch. I can vouch for the extreme creepiness of both. I’ll have to look for the others.

2 Likes
6 Likes

Oh, and I must highly recommend an excellent folk horror-ish short story by Karl Edward Wagner called Sticks. I found it in one of those great Lovecraftian trade paperback anthologies: Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos by HP Lovecraft and Others.

The Willows, and The Wendigo by Algernon Blackwood are classics of the ahem field. Few things in my life are more enjoyable than curling up somewhere comfy in the wee smol hours, with a cup of tea and some tea, and Dover Pub’s Best Ghost Stories of Algernon Blackwood, or his John Silence stories. They can also get folk horror-esque.

6 Likes

How about:

Or maybe that would be straight-up horror.

(I see they’re making an effort to distinguish it from the upcoming Borderlands film.)

1 Like

1 Like