Spiders blamed after broken siren played creepy nursery rhymes randomly at night to UK townsfolk

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/17/spiders-blamed-after-broken-si.html

8 Likes

Chasing thieves/burglars away with nursery rhymes?
Interesting concept.

17 Likes

Obviously the owners of this office park are trying to set the town up as a Scarfolk tourist destination.

39 Likes

"We appreciate that people living nearby would find it quite spooky.”

Sounds like they’re pretty proud that the woman was completely terrified. Was this town by any chance Scarfolk?

14 Likes

I know right? As I was reading I was saying to my self “Ok, spiders, motion detectors, that doesn’t explain the nursery rhymes… wait, what?” Are they trying to deter trespassers or just looking for some fantastic CCTV footage of people freaking the fuck out?

9 Likes

They should post a sign.

23 Likes

They shud have used this one, of course.
“The Goblin Burglar Alarm”

7 Likes

What’s more discouraging, from my point of view, is that, now it’s public knowledge, it’s not going to be much of a dterrent to any nocturnal visitors, is it? #dontbesocheapandhireanightwatchman

4 Likes

Beat me to it.

ETA: I am now playing the version I found and yours together (out of sync) for maximum creepiness. Works pretty well.

3 Likes

Outlander!!!

1 Like

CREEPY nursery rhymes. Think about how many horror movies employ this. Kinda genius if you think about it. Especially if you’re a little stoned before you go burgling.

6 Likes

But it’s the wrong Ipswich! The spooky one is in Massachusetts north of Boston and supposedly near the city of Arkham and the town of Innsmouth.

11 Likes
1 Like

Sure, blame it on the spiders. It’s always the spiders’ fault.

14 Likes

This interests me. Is it worth Googling? I’m asking because I’m already on this website and my fingers are too tired unless I’m more motivated. And it’s only Monday.

8 Likes

But British Ipswich is close to Dunwich, which is mostly underwater.

14 Likes

Reminds me of that traditional English carol:

Here we go a bur’g’lin,
After some leaf so green;
Hear we all a nursery rhyme,
No child to be seen;
Now let fear come to you,
And to all your township too;
And goddamn that’s a creepy thing for everyone to hear,
And goddamn that’s a creepy thing to hear;

18 Likes

It’s a Lovecraft reference. HPL set most of his stories in a version of northeastern Massachusetts that combined references to real places there like Ipswich and Danvers with fictional places like Arkham and Innsmouth.

3 Likes

Sure. Sure. Spiders. Riiiiiiight.

2 Likes