Take a tour of this deserted Japanese village populated with scarecrows

Originally published at: Take a tour of this deserted Japanese village populated with scarecrows | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Futurama GIF

10 Likes

Perhaps cat-apple reincarnation Nyango Star should be brought to Nagoro.

1 Like

A woman named Ms Tsukimi Ayano, the “Scarecrow Mother,” has been making scarecrows for over a decade now and placing them around this small, quiet town to make it feel less empty.

But it does make the town, like, a thousand times more creepy.

3 Likes

The pics were far less creepy than I expected, just based on the title of the topic.

4 Likes

Why isn’t this a J-Horror Film? :scream:

1 Like

Scarecrows for keeping pests away in Japan are their own kind of thing. A lot of those hairstylist mannakins end up in rice fields. Definitely more on the creepy end of the spectrum.

This sort of tourist attraction skews more towards cute or silly. A nearby town had an annual scarecrow hike through the fall rice paddies. Mostly a lot of cute scenes, with the odd scarecrow grandma squatting in the field.

1 Like
1 Like

Yes! Just a plastic head with the child-gives-Barbie-a-haircut look stuck on a stick along the edges of the rice field. Nearly crashed my car the first rice harvest.

2 Likes

Eye of the beholder.

1 Like

Does Japan have horror movies situated around farms and crops like America does?

I mean, we all know you don’t go into strange corn fields.

It’s a village of Wilsons. That makes the idea a lot less creepy, but a lot more sad.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.