Japanese town installs black scrim to block view of Mount Fuji

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/30/japanese-town-installs-black-scrim-to-block-view-of-mount-fuji.html

4 Likes

I mean, can’t you just walk to the other side of it?

2 Likes

Sounds like a perfect location for a permanent Christo-like installation.

More art than blockade. Then people would flock in to see the art…

Sigh, oh well.

14 Likes

and soon some ‘influencer’ will take a photo in front of the screen, and everyone will go to take pictures of the screen that hides Mt Fuji, and nothing will have been accomplished…

5 Likes

I feel sympathy for Japanese folks dealing with tourists, because they’re hopelessly outclassed. For Japanese tourists, at most all you need is a discreet sign that politely asks for one to do or not do something. I can imagine your average overseas tourists literally mystify and confound Japanese residents with their absolute refusal to follow even the simplest, most straightforward of rules.

And I say this as a generally rule-following Canadian former resident of Japan… who has nonetheless ignored the rules on occasion.

9 Likes

I’m guessing Magritte would have a field day with this . . . literally, as in going out to that field and painting La Trahison des Paysage with a caption of “Ceci n’est pas une Mont Fuji

5 Likes

It’s a golden age for scrim fans!
neat something GIF

5 Likes

They spent a significant amount of time talking about this on the news talk shows in Japan today. It’s different from places like Akihabara, Kyoto, or Kamakura that see lots of tourists, but also expect lots of tourists. Places like this that go viral though see lots of tourists, but the locals don’t expect or want tourists there, hence the problem. I thought the suggestion of one of the talking heads was pretty reasonable: it’s hard to just make tourists go away, especially when something becomes viral on social media. Townships should have someone that can pay close attention to social media (both foreign and domestic) so that they can be aware and ready when a phenomenon like this arises: they could try and clamp it down before it gets too big (hard to do, can blow up in your face) or lean into it and see if they can at least make some money off of the phenomenon.

2 Likes

Yes, but people specifically want to take pictures with the Lawson convenience store (perfect symbol of modern cool Japan) with Mt. Fuji looming behind it (perfect symbol of historical/traditional Japan). The juxtaposition of the two in a single photo is what makes it so desirable for social media.

4 Likes

If they’d made it green, then tourists could get a selfie at Mos Eisley spaceport.

10 Likes

Scrim-chan!

2 Likes

Always liked Christo’s works.
I saw the one in Rome in 1974: he packed Porta Pinciana (a segment of Aurelian wall with arcs leading to via Veneto).
I was amazed at the surreal installation, to the eyes of a child it represented some kind of magic world connecting with the ancient Roman remains.
Some good pictures here.

As an adult I still like the impermanent landscape modifications, the hiding and the revealing they bring.

7 Likes

I wonder where they got the idea?

3 Likes

Ah! That makes sense.

1 Like

Just fake it with AI.

The odd thing about photography is that some scenes have been shot a million times – the Eiffel Tower from Montmartre, for example – yet the one you shoot is somehow yours. It wasn’t a problem before social media allowed such easy, wide sharing of pics.

On the plus side, I got a fairly scrappy haiku out of this

Fuji-san hidden
Within black mist of anger
Now only Lawson

In truth, Mt Fuji is so large you can see it from over 20 miles away in most directions.

7 Likes

A friend of mine pointed out years ago that many people have taken better pictures of Mt Fuji, the Taj Mahal, whatever than you will.

I wish I’d brought a binaural mic around when I used to travel.

6 Likes

That was my thinking, except put the screen somewhere where it’s desirable to have tourists.

1 Like

Don’t suppose they could try something similar to the “Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas” Sign?

Prior to 2008, access to the iconic sign for photo opportunities was risky. There was no legal place for visitors to park, and visitors had to cross travel lanes of Las Vegas Boulevard and hop up onto a median to reach the sign. Although there had been no known traffic fatalities involving pedestrians attempting to access the sign, rising traffic at the south end of the Strip presented an increasingly dangerous situation.
… Clark County… officials decided to improve access and increase safety around the sign for photo-seekers. On December 8, 2008, site improvements were completed in the median allowing official public access to the welcome sign for the first time.
Source: Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas sign - Wikipedia

1 Like

My post may be a little OT, but this caught my eye - the last time I was in Japan I took a digital audio recorder and a home-made binaural microphone and got some simply astonishing field recordings of e.g. the bamboo forest at Arashiyama, various train stations, a hike into the hills of Kyoto, etc. When I listen to them now through headphones they instantly transport me into that space in ways no photo can. When I close my eyes I can literally feel the presence of other people in the room when someone walks by in the recordings - it’s actually spooky.

Since then a binaural rig is required for any travel I do.

9 Likes

Mt Fuji is so large you can see it on a good day from Tokyo over 100km away. It’s not the same as being up close and personal though.

I’ve climbed up Fuji san twice, but all the tourists walking up in single file like a chain gang means I am unlikely to ever do it again.