Spiders blamed after broken siren played creepy nursery rhymes randomly at night to UK townsfolk

One of Clark Ashton Smith’s ‘beauties’.

7 Likes

All right, then. If anyone needs me I’ll be living on some other planet for a while.

2 Likes

They oughtta hire some clown security guards to patrol…

14 Likes

Aranea scarfolkii

3 Likes

I didn’t know this nursery rhyme per se, but strangely, it seemed very familiar to me. It’s Monday so it was hard to remember. After breakfast, I sent a little probe down into my brain and after a little while, I remembered this song from the '80s which features children singing that exact nursery rhyme at the very end.

5 Likes

UY475_SS475

7 Likes

Common problem - sound set to be at appropriate level during daytime when there is traffic/machinery noise is perceptually much louder when the masking noises disappear at night. Couple this with the effects on sound propagation that result from temperature inversion, and you get noise complaints from recognizable sounds and sound-sources, and creepy from unrecognizable sounds.

5 Likes

Shades of Scarfolk!

Well, maybe they were spiders from Mars?

2 Likes

7ab1440a0a58f45db163758242a278d162bcd6ed_1_667x500

9 Likes

Nobody ever blames the butterfly.

2 Likes

I’m torn between thinking this is fantastic and thinking it’s a publicity stunt for an upcoming horror flick.

1 Like

A reference to another rain-related rhyme?

3 Likes

“Spiders cause creepy nursery rhymes to be played at empty factory”

My immediate question, which was obviously shared by others, was whether this story was from Ipswich or Scarfolk? I don’t know if I’m glad I’m not alone in this, or disturbed because apparently Scarfolk is becoming a real place, in the collective consciousness if nothing else.

@FGD135

The spider in question:

14 Likes

f5dbc34e088fbba91e56be54ef64a550023f0b52_1_330x500

18 Likes

17 Likes

16 Likes

Well of course, how could I have missed that. Ipswitch was where he visited and the fish people tried to catch him, but he escaped. Can’t remember the name of the story. I love me some Lovecraft.

Of course it’s spiders.

1 Like

Things never just stay in the collective (un)consciousness. The morphogenetic field will see to that.

3 Likes