Lockpicking Lawyer wins $100 proving a fancy padlock can be opened in less than three minutes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/14/lockpicking-lawyer-wins-100-p.html

8 Likes

Lockpicking Lawyer wins $100 proving a fancy padlock can be opened in less than three minutes

So… his standard billing rate?

22 Likes

Probably less. You might benefit from asking him for legal advice while he’s distracted picking a lock for you.

12 Likes

…but you should buy as a gift for someone whose property you have designs on

19 Likes

You guys should check out his youtube rival, the Litigating Locksmith.

6 Likes

What about the Lawful Lockman?

2 Likes

I fell down a rabbit hole watching Deviant Ollam and his physical security testing talks. Thanks to him I know I can enter our offices with a pocket knife or small screw driver, etc.

6 Likes

This is the Lockpicking Lawyer, and what I have for you today is another defeated piece of security theater

3 Likes

That’s a nice tension wrench. The ones I have a flimsier (and more springy) and I have a hard time keeping them in the keyway.

4 Likes

17 suckers so far, including me, my hat’s off to you.

1 Like

That Kwikset lock is probably twice as hard to pick as a generic Chinese 4-tumbler padlock, but that’s not saying much. Also it’s a bad idea to base a padlock on the most common residential entry set in the country, since many people have lots of practice with that unit.

2 Likes

How is he on cell doors?

3 Likes

3 cheers for the Lockpicking Lawyer! Now please stay away from my house.

I learned how to pick locks while working as a windows sysadmin for IBM. We were in a data center with standard cube office space. Occasionally we would need an install CD that was in a co-workers locked overhead bin. A couple of t-pins, one for tension and one as a rake made quick work of those locks. The entire team was quite good at this. We were told to stop when the client who’s data center we were in found out and got nervous.

Of course they never did actually fix the physical security problem.

4 Likes

Con 1: “I owe my freedom to that guy!”

Con 2: “I heard the prosecution thought it was a slam dunk. He must have been a great attorney to help you beat that rap.”

Con 1: “Oh no, he was a terrible attorney. They gave me 25-to-life. He just got me out.”

10 Likes

You really need to do this as a comment on the video

3 Likes

Well, that’s one perspective. My own personal perspective is that very few thieves have the discipline or patience for the art of lock picking in the first place (most burglaries are quick & dirty, involving breaking windows, or smashing/cutting locks) so the resistance to lock-picking is a mostly academic affair. And a good number of people use padlocks on things like gates and fences, where using the same Kwikset key as the rest of the locks on your property rather than a unique key at every location adds a great deal of convenience at the cost of very minimal increased risk. Have you ever heard of anyone getting the lock to a backyard gate getting picked rather than the thieves just jumping over the fence?

1 Like

I haven’t heard of anyone picking a lock to gain access to a residential thing in a long, long time. Like, forever. My stuff got stolen through a broken window.

But this entire post is humoring such ideas as burglars who are skilled enough to pick locks, so we might as well argue from that perspective, or ignore the whole concept of lock picking.

1 Like

This is all true, but locks in general keep honest people out. Most if not all padlocks can be defeated with bolt cutters. (or the thing they are attached to can like the chain or the hardware the lock is on.)

Some idiots tired to carve open the washing machines at my apt complex with angle grinders. I think they failed, though.

A swift kick will take down most doors.

The build the wall idiots are like, “Why do you have your doors locked if walls don’t work. We care about our security.”

And I’m like, “Do you have bars on your windows and a reinforced steel door? If not anyone could break into your house with ease. Does that mean you don’t care about home security?”

2 Likes

innocent_bryan_cranston2

2 Likes