London cops switch off wifi in the tube to make it harder for climate protesters to organise

Around here we call that “making things up”.

6 Likes

Can any of us think of a major social movement that was able to achieve it’s aims, against the will of the powers that be, without massive, inconvenient protests?

9 Likes

It’s incorrect to assume that there’s a cabal of “powers that be” that are preventing climate action.

There are a lot of average citizens who are more concerned with their wallets, and a lot of people in the less developed world who want Euro-American lifestyles very badly. Fail to move their opinions, and not much is going to happen any time soon.

1 Like

I think that where @sme and @heng are positioned is that the situation now is so urgent that thinking about whether a particular action will work or not is a luxury we can’t afford. Therefore, any response other than complete affirmation for every climate-related action done by anyone, anywhere, is concern driving trollies.

Since this action has been equated here to the civil rights movement…How many of these protesters have been bitten by police dogs, or had there homes firebombed, or murdered by gunshot on lonely country roads, or beaten to death like Emmett Till?

If those sort of things are happening to the members of Extinction Rebellion, I’ll gladly commend them for courage a la Rosa Parks. If they’re going home to safe residences where they sleep soundly all night, maybe the comparison is a bit dodgy.

1 Like

We’re getting there:

And not specifically for this protest, but the risk applies to environmental protesters globally:

4 Likes

I had a cop twist a gun in my ear - been shot at and had friends murdered in hate crimes.

Why do you ask?

5 Likes
1 Like

Tl:dr?

Dame Emma Thompson joined climate protesters in London on Thursday to declare that she wants to be among those demonstrators arrested by police.

However, it has emerged that the Oscar winning British actress was photographed a day earlier arriving at Heathrow Airport after apparently flying from Los Angeles where it is believed she had been celebrating her 60th birthday.

The Extinction Rebellion group, which is calling for flights to be used only in emergencies, insisted that any flight she had taken was an “unfortunate cost in our bigger battle to save the planet”.

Well, hell yes. Having Dame Emma there is well worth the cost, she probably cools the planet a third of a degree just by showing up.

Here’s another one! Emma Thompson and Rosa Parks, two peas in a pod!

It certainly doesn’t seem to be affecting Emma very much.

We shouldn’t whinge as long as they stick to fucking up tube trains, extremely energy efficient and used by the middle class. Now if they showed up at the first-class lounge at Heathrow, that would be a different story. Dame Emma would not be happy.

I’ll be following this story closely to see if Dame Emma gets beaten or Maced, or spends a night in jail.

I can only assume that by the reactions to this that Extinction Rebellion have found a tactic that cannot be ignored, unlike all the other ones that have been tried over the last four decades. Expect a lot more over the summer.

7 Likes

I love that woman.
She is also very funny!

Thank you Emma Thompson for all your work.

3 Likes

Like a jet plane:

image https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CoordinatedEmotionalDaddylonglegs-small.gif

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.