London developer makes last-minute changes to lock poor kids out of "communal" playground

That and from other cases, the expectation that if they do allow the “social housing” flats access, some of the people paying service charges will whinge that their service charge should be reduced/ access by non-service charge payers should be prevented.

And those will be the really vocal and annoying ones who will make managing the development a nightmare unless you give in.

But yes, this is still a developer problem because despite years of being required to have mixed housing and amenity space requirements, developers have still not bothered to find a way to do that with the costs dealt with equitably.

And why? Because they’re allowed to get away with this kind of stuff.

There is one. And not surprisingly, she’d like the access to be opened up:

Louise Whitely, a private owner from the Lilian Baylis development, says she wants the gates put back in so her children can play with their friends.

“We bought a flat here because it was marketed as family-friendly and there were photos of children playing all over the site,” she said. “But now our children’s friends look down from their windows and can’t come and join us. We want them to be given back the access that was shown in the original plans.”

Then again, even in today’s Britain, we’re not quite at the stage where nice people speak to Guardian reporters saying “We’re fine with the social housing kids being segregated. They’re all in gangs anyway. We’re only living here until we can afford to live in the Shires and if I could lock my Jeremy and Olivia away with only access to ‘nice’ kids I would.”

You need a radio phone in or internet comment sections for that.

So who knows what all the others think.

3 Likes

Yeah, my initial reaction was just the usual hawt taek so easily espoused on these here intarwebs. Your reading (and L0ki’s) of the situation is more reality based - but where’s the fun in that?

There are soooo many things wrong in society these days that it would be easy to let anger overcome me. This kind of dick mood from the developer just pushes a special button - how empty is the soul of the person who made the decision? Even if there’s no legal recourse, I hope that the court of public opinion will help push a reconsideration.
(not holding my breath)

2 Likes

rachel bloom had a youtube item on vaccinations and playgrounds was quite funny but it seems it timed out…

never mind the elvis item ‘don’t step on my blue suede shoes’

What were the Lollards famous for again?

When Adam delved and Eve span, Who was then the gentleman? From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. For if God would have had any bondmen from the beginning, he would have appointed who should be bond, and who free. And therefore I exhort you to consider that now the time is come, appointed to us by God, in which ye may (if ye will) cast off the yoke of bondage, and recover liberty.

John Ball

2 Likes

Well, isn’t this just small minded, small hearted, and petty. Fucking fuckers being fucking fuckers; another day ending in “y”. You can tell the “good” people by their willingness to follow the letter of an agreement, and ignore the spirit of it. Picayune people.

Yeah, that.

That said, the artist in me wishes the angle of the playground photo had been taken so that the guillotine could have lined up evenly with the depositing end of the slide, because that’s what the upcoming revolution needs. Slide delivery.

“Wheeeee!” Whack! “Next!”

Wow, and damn. Up until now I hadn’t seen this. Thank you.

That will take forever. Composting , however…

1 Like

Oh god, suddenly I side with the slightly less poor oiks.
Get off our communal lawn!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.