London gets some baby beaver for the first time in centuries

english mercia and danish mercia? do the map makers really not know how to spell 'merica correctly!? no wonder we declared independence.

Apparently European beavers are much less likely to carry Giardia than the North American species. Reintroductions have been monitored for Giardia (among other pathogens), and it has not been detected.

Primarily Roisin Campbell-Palmer, who has, more relevantly, lots of experience with beavers in mainland Europe.

2 Likes

No need to tell me, I saw Hound of the Baskervilles (1939) when I was something like 5 years old, moors looked like terrifying forsaken places where nothing good happens.

I for one look forward to the day the Thames is fully dammed

Wait no more!

3 Likes

Remember that the UK is the exception in Europe, rather than the rule. In most European countries beavers have lived side by side with civilisation for centuries. I grew up within walking distance of several beaver habitats in a heavily agricultural landscape in rural Southern Germany. There is no real conflict between humans and beavers in a well managed landscape.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.