Long COVID expert at US Senate hearing: "the burden of disease and disability from long COVID . . . is on par with the burden of cancer and heart disease"

Originally published at: Long COVID expert at US Senate hearing: "the burden of disease and disability from long COVID . . . is on par with the burden of cancer and heart disease" - Boing Boing

6 Likes

Do we have data on how the vaccines effect the likelihood and severity of contracting long Covid.

3 Likes
6 Likes

Thank you, Rob, for that long transcription of very important remarks.

2 Likes

From what I’ve read, the data varies. Vaccines definitely cut the risk to some extent, but definitely by no means do they eliminate it.

2 Likes

It was me, Jenny! But yes, you’re welcome. I’m trying to stay on top of the COVID and Long COVID news!

10 Likes

Was in the grocery line yesterday, and realized the guy in front of me was hassling the cashier for wearing a mask. She was professional and curt, and he left huffily after saying “Covid was made up”. I considered calling him an idiot and stop harassing someone who’s just doing her job, but he was leaving as I became aware of the conversation, and it felt counterproductive to get sources of contagion to start spouting off. Told her she held her own well.

2 Likes

That’s kinda what reduces means?

Even the vaccine itself just reduces the possibility of serious complications, it doesn’t mean you won’t get covid…

2 Likes

oh absolutely. for me, personally, vaccines don’t reduce the possibility enough–for either preventing an acute COVID infection nor for preventing Long COVID–for me to stop masking. the rates I’ve seen from various studies are just not high enough for me to give up other precautions.

4 Likes

Defense in layers always, no one thing we can do will completely eliminate the risk (well maybe going to live as a hermit) of these sorts of diseases.

3 Likes

“It’s equivalent to a cold or mild flu” my conspiracy-theory-addled friend assured me. “All the deaths are attributable to comorbidities” he claimed. “You don’t need the vaccine, they do more harm than good” he said.

:rage:

2 Likes

everybody with no comorbidities raise your hands

4 Likes

Eric Topol MD, biomedical researcher at the Sxripps Institute, goes into the recent data on vaccines and Long Covid in his latest post:

3 Likes

Thanks, Jenny, for continuing the conversation about COVID with science & facts.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.