Long-term meditation changes your poop

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/14/long-term-meditation-changes-your-poop.html

3 Likes

This sounds like there’s an extreme risk of selection bias here. One of the requirements of succeeding as a monk (whatever that means) presumably includes the ability to meditate for long periods. If your gut biota predispose you to anxiety and depression, it seems like you might wash out as a monk.

This isn’t to say that there couldn’t be a causal relationship, I just don’t know if the study design can really account for that. I haven’t looked too closely at the paper yet, but based on the abstract I’d be wary of the conclusions without further research.

(Now I’ve got to give the paper a proper read…)

16 Likes

Is this that “holy shit” I keep hearing about?

7 Likes

I’m sure it’s better than it sounds, but…

Happy Sleepless In Seattle GIF by Laff

3 Likes

What if I’m meditating while…

1 Like

“This is it. This is mystical shit.”

2 Likes

Long-term meditation changes your poop.

Into what?

4 Likes

“Long-term meditation changes your poop.” — Martin Luther :wink:

(excerpt) For Luther the bathroom was also a place of worship. His holiest movements came when he was seated on the privy (Abort) of the Wittenberg monastery tower. It was there, while moving his bowels, that he conceived the revolutionary Protestant doctrine of justification by faith alone.

2 Likes

IMG_3192

shit posting…literally

3 Likes

Excreta! I mean, eureka!

2 Likes

That’s the poop.

1 Like

Bao buns come to mind, I quite like them?

3 Likes

Yeah, basically the same thing, but without the filling.

2 Likes

One with everything?

3 Likes

Good call. Honestly, there are very few foods I don’t enjoy (chard can go right to hell), but sometimes the descriptions aren’t the most appetizing part.

3 Likes

Yeah, haggis is a lot better than the description might lead you to think :slight_smile:

1 Like
3 Likes

Love how the M-word filter even censored it in the embed snippet.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.