Look at all the dead projects in this Google Graveyard

There’s another one I came across the past month as well: https://gcemetery.co

1 Like

I’d rather have Google try lots of things and fail some / reuse them in a different way (Inbox), than not taking risks at all.

1 Like

I run my own TinyTinyRSS server. Now I don’t have to worry about an RSS aggregator being discontinued or moving to a subscription model.

1 Like

I miss Google Buzz. The Google Plus limit of one link per post was always the dumbest thing about it.

I also miss being able to select text in a gmail, hit Reply, and quote only that text, instead of having to edit the response myself to accomplish this.

1 Like

This looks super cool and I’m now tempted to give it a go.

Picasa was nice.

1 Like

Wave worked pretty well. The saddest thing about it is that Google tried to get some positive PR spin to it: they “donated” it in a non-working form to the Apache foundation and never touched it again. Apache Wave literally never worked, and a few years later the apache foundation officially branded it as failed. It could have lived on, maybe, if it’d been donated in working order. Who knows.

1 Like

I was a happy bufferbox user until Google bought them and promptly shut them down. :frowning:

Missing from this list is Feedburner, which was around until 2012 or so I think.

Just wanted to recommend TheOldReader.com for RSS reader.

Honestly the only Google services that I really rely on are Android itself, Google Keep on my phone (which I hope is just “too small to fail” – i.e. too small to be noticed and dropped – though that means the web version will probably never be fixed, it’s been unreliable for years) and mail. And search but there are usable competitors there as well.

[Use and support Firefox! Keep it alive!]

Anyone have a good email client to try once Inbox is gone, that similarly has some actual innovative email management features?

The only one I miss is GoogleNow

Seriously, that thing was short of miraculous, the cards were always on point, they even notified me of flight delays before the airline did!

I know Google is still collecting all the information possible from my online presence, but at least with GoogleNow I was getting something really useful in return

Isn’t Google’s moto: “just be evil”? :clown_face:

whatyoudidthereiseeit.gif

Fun story: only last week, in a MAJOR infrastructure project, someone announced a kick-off thingy using Google hangouts. The mail said you would not need to pre-register and the mail could be forwarded.

They were using the business version via GSuite, which still only can accommodate 50 participants.

No idea why they choose hangouts. Maybe because we’re not allowed to install any software which would be suited for a webinar/presentation with chat function.

Needless to say how this ended.
I am looking forward for the projects results, if this starts like this.

1 Like

@frauenfelder You might want a Nextcloud instance. I spun mine up just for the RSS everywhere and synced across devices that was the reason I used Reader.

Then I found an addon that lets me read my ebooks and remember what page I’m on across devices :smiley:

I also use theoldreader. I haven’t checked options lately, but at the time it was the closest thing to a drop-in replacement for google reader. Its biggest issue is: none of my friends use it.

The ubiquity of Reader added a dimension. Your friends were on it, sharing articles through the interface they read them. Curating content for each other from the raw feeds. I heard it described as google accidentally creating the best social network, and they have a point. Looking at the ongoing drama about news in social media, it felt different: a network of people who’d self-selected as wanting to wade through information and pick out interesting things to share.

It might just be nostalgia but I miss that aspect more than anything else google has killed.

1 Like

google+ is doing a back-up
they could have just stuck it in google calendar
which would show dates posted…

I’m a fan, personally, of Inoreader, which has a lot of options while still being simple. Also sends a summary of your starred articles which is pretty cool. It’s also supported by the RSS reader apps I use on my phone/desktop (while also having their own).

2 Likes

What happened to URL shortened with Google? Do they still work?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.