Look at how this guy removes 7-feet of snow from the roof of a general store

If you get that much snow, you should have a more steeply pitched roof.

8 Likes

Nah, the solution is to just not live there.

4 Likes

The “snow whiskerer”.

3 Likes

I’m sure this was on BB a long time ago but too much work to find. I’m sure it referenced this BBC documentary about Yellowstone (there were episodes about each season of the year, I think) and this is an extract from one of the episodes…

Ignore the speeded up first minute or so. IIRC the documentary’s narration discusses why he spends the winter there, pretty alone, and this is part of his duties. (Can’t listen to the YT extract right now.)

ETA: LOL - It was me who posted about it in the discussion thread about Japanese snow roof clearing. :wink:

2 Likes

Even driving around the state (MA) you’d be
suprised at the amount of
Flat Roofs.
I’m sure there’s a good reason for having
flat-as-a-pancake roofs,
when one has to climb up there a dozen times
during the winter
to shove the snow off.
Contruction, engineering or zoning issues?
Someone must clarify!

4 Likes

I went to Shirakawa-go UNESCO world heritage site in the Gifu mountains of Japan for xmas 2005.

It’s that picturesque village with A-Frame houses having thatched roofs.

I cannot even describe the amount of snow I witnessed, I don’t know exactly how much actually fell, but I remember the entire town was a snow maze at least two stories tall. The road that the bus drove us down there on had walls of snow at least 18 feet high. The town itself you couldn’t see the houses but there were roads carved between them and people at the very tops of their roofs with toboggans pushing 3 feet layers of snow off of the roofs. I lived in Sapporo Japan for a couple years after that, where 6 in would fall everyday at least.

People complain about snow where I live in Pittsburgh.
I tell them about Japan and they look at me in disbelief.

4 Likes

Look at how this guy removes 7-feet of snow from the roof of a general store

I need it done on a specific store.

9 Likes

Like this?

3 Likes

unless yo refrigerator has fairly large strong wheels you need to get organised
otherwise just slide it about

Whats weird we know 700 lbs is ridiculous, but the actual weight (about 350 lbs) still seems ridiculous.

She loved the winter, snow and ice.

3 Likes

“Something is NOT right!”

3 Likes

Wouldn’t the accumulation of snow tend to further compact the snow nearer to the bottom, thereby increasing each block’s average density?

Over a great deal of time, possibly.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.