Look at these classic cartoons drawn in the 1930s rubber hose style

Originally published at: Look at these classic cartoons drawn in the 1930s rubber hose style | Boing Boing

4 Likes

So it has a name. “Rubber hose”. Ugh. This style has always squicked me out. Even as a little kid.

3 Likes

I have to agree. The rubber-hose movement combined with the adult motifs made it weird and off-putting for me as a kid. I do appreciate this artist’s work, though.

2 Likes

I didn’t dig this style so much as a kid, but these days I kinda love it. Could you imagine The Dark Knight Returns redone in rubber-hose? Attack on Titan could certainly use such treatment. Or a feature-length animated Dune – yeah, that’s the ticket!

6 Likes

Personally I enjoyed that one Futurama episode with different acts each animated in a different style.

10 Likes

PBS would sometimes show old Betty Boop and other early cartoons as part of this “Matinee at the Bijou”. It showed old serials and shorts as well - some of which still haunt me in their imagery and I would really, really like to figure out WTF did I watch?

At any rate, LOVE the old style animation. I used to do a bit where I was a 1930s cartoon character, who literally can’t stand still. Originator of the video game idler animation!

1 Like

Are white gloves with ~three lines on their backs an obligatory feature of rubber hose style?

Mickey was first given white gloves as a way of contrasting his naturally black hands against his black body. The use of white gloves would prove to be an influential design for cartoon characters, particularly with later Disney characters, but also with non-Disney characters such as Bugs Bunny, Woody Woodpecker, Mighty Mouse, Mario, and Sonic The Hedgehog.
wikipedia

3 Likes

Yes, it was pretty common back then for characters to have gloves and the hands were oversized to make the details easier to see, especially when just black and white. It wasn’t used in all characters, like for example Felix the Cat didn’t have gloves.

3 Likes

7 Likes

Cool.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.