Look at this guy play a tiny taiko drum he bought from a capsule vending machine

Originally published at: Look at this guy play a tiny taiko drum he bought from a capsule vending machine | Boing Boing

11 Likes

Man, that makes me miss the Cherry Blossom Festival in Philadelphia so much!

They would always for many years now have the Tamagawa University Taiko Drum & Dance Troupe play. So awesome…

8 Likes

tenor(15)

This is the academy where you learn to play tiny taiko drums.

3 Likes

Local talent. The guy in the green shirt is Kenny Endo, one of our local Taiko drummers and leader of his own troupe.

He has played several times at our library; very loud but delightful!

3 Likes

This. Is. Adorable.

3 Likes

The Cherry Blossom Festival in San Jose’s Japantown was cancelled this year; really missed the live taiko drumming. It’s great to hear it but even more so to feel it.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Here is how to play the big ones.

4 Likes

If you get a chance, check out KODO. Their live performances are mind-blowing. I’ve seen them in both Tokyo and venues in the US, and I’ve loved every concert.

2 Likes

Some lovely clips but Taiko drumming really must be experienced with the underbelly or even the whole body. My home sound system can’t quite pull that off :frowning:

(For one thing I actually like my neighbors…)

4 Likes

Kodo’s home base is on Sado Island, west of the main Japanese island Honshu. They host a festival every August:

I was hoping to get there again this year after the Olympics, sadly I can’t see it happening given the current situation :cry:, Their ‘village hall’ is an amazing performance space:

2 Likes

My first experience was back in 2010(?) at the Philadelphia festival.

It was rainy so they did it indoors in a giant greenhouse of Fairmount Park. The subsequent years pale in comparison to being packed in the crowd with the thrum reverberating through your body a few feet away from the drums.

Here’s a picture to get a small idea, just picture being packed in shoulder to shoulder pre-COVID days here:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.