Look at this storage cabinet inspired by a 1960s IBM tape drive

Originally published at: Look at this storage cabinet inspired by a 1960s IBM tape drive | Boing Boing

8 Likes
4 Likes

I felt nostalgic.

Join the club…

3 Likes

I’m not saying I’m old, but I was definitely hanging tapes on these in the early 90s, before my company replaced them all with 3380 drives.

3 Likes

One of my earliest memories is of playing ring toss with the box of colorful “write enable” rings in the company computer room where my father was a programmer. (The rings are flexible rubber and are stuffed in the center of the tape reel before mounting the tape on the drive. Having a ring means it’s approved to erase the data on the tape.) I very literally “cut my teeth” on those tape drive rings.

That was 55 years ago.

3 Likes

Make sure you watch the video to the very end. The affectionate pat at the end was an LOL for me.

2 Likes

I like how the aluminum cabinet “face rails” look like the vacuum columns for the tape loops.

A better view and description of the purpose of those vacuum columns.

1 Like

While speaking of Love, he makes the music for this great looking cyberpunk game, invasive recall. It’s has Love but needs more love!

Cool, next do a DecTape kegerator.

Also WTB

1 Like

Way too slow at rotating the wheels. They are supposed to jerk so fast they could take a limb off.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.