Look inside a vintage ice cream truck music box

I remember those! We had an old Maxima station wagon, and blessed the day when the voice warning system finally gave up. The door is ajar!..the door is ajar!..

3 Likes

That’s still better than the tortilla salesman who makes the rounds 4 times a day in my Tijuana neighborhood, with a canned announcement about how fucking awesome their tortillas are.

I swear, it starts off with a guy yelling, “Por Vida! Pir Vida! Senoras, aqui! Tortillas de Mi…CHELLE…del PIPILA!” and then launches into a minute-long spiel about awesome tortillas, awesome red sauce, awesome green sauce, awesome this and that. If you’re not inured to it, you want to tear your hair out after a week.

ETA: No matter how you look at it, tortillas are just not that exciting.

6 Likes
1 Like

When the switch to pre-packaged ice cream trucks started happening I was so disappointed. I could buy those things in the store. It was like false advertising. That’s a Popsicle truck damn it, WHERE’S MY ICE CREAM CONE***!***

2 Likes

We had a friend who told her kids that the jingle meant that the ice-cream van was leaving. Saved a lot of money that way…

1 Like

One of my chef buddies once played “Lady in Red”, the single not the album, for an entire 8 hour shift. It was on tape, so that shows his commitment. The boss went home practically crying but Evil Rich called him a pussy and put the tape on again for another 4 hours until the end of the shift.

5 Likes

Red/Green/Red/Green/Red/Green. Stop and go.

Integrated circuit chips often (always?) have date codes printed on their face. First, find the part number, you can confirm that it is a part number by looking it up online. The other number will be the date code. I just pulled a chip from a parts box. On the face is “SN7492AN” and “7623”. The first is the part number, the second the date code - the 23 week in 1976.

4 Likes

This reminds me of my shortwave listening days. The BBC would be on continuously, but if they weren’t actually reporting any news they just played about a dozen notes from their introductory theme, over and over and over and…

2 Likes

I watch this regularly for the lulz:

4 Likes

The neighborhood I grew up in had Jack and Jill the ice cream car. He drove a red Le Mans convertible with ice chests in the back seat, the passenger seat was twisted around and his girlfriend served the kids. No music, just a leather belt with brass bells they would shake as they drove. Ten cent Popsicles! Twenty-five cents for an ice cream treat.

3 Likes

Here’s a nice ice cream truck tune:

2 Likes

Bubble Bobble via '04 cellphone game.

damn, that beat goes hard

1 Like

It’s what keeps me coming back.

“Do you have any vanilla?”

Oz trucks always use Greensleeves:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.