New York City seizes 46 ice cream trucks

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/06/new-york-city-seizes-46-ice-cr.html

5 Likes

This will not be easy to resolve…I fear the truck owners have a rocky road ahead.

(OK, sure, it was lazy. But I have’t had coffee yet.)

33 Likes

Magic Shell Companies

25 Likes

Looks like the city froze some of their assets.

27 Likes

This is why we can’t have nice things. Something wasn’t very vanilla about these companies.

15 Likes

This makes me want to scream.

/damn it

17 Likes

Mr. Softee’s gonna be doing hard time.

26 Likes

I mean, as long as this makes for a fun, easy-to-grasp visual analogy in some article after they take down financiers for hiding their ill-gotten gains in a series shell companies, I guess it’s fine. Otherwise WTF policing priorities?

8 Likes

I have to admit, this is the most amount of time I’ve heard about for anyone trying to chase down an ice cream truck.

I’d have given up after maybe 30 seconds.

20 Likes

Yessir, killing the ice cream truck biz just in time for summer. Don’t you go changing, New York.

But seriously-- good for them, the city needs that money for other basic services.

8 Likes

And so begins the War On Summer Vacation.

12 Likes

We all scream…

16 Likes

That’s a sure bet.

6 Likes

Don’t be sore, bae.

11 Likes

Does this mean NYC won’t have to listen to that terrible plinky song blasting through 50-year-old loudspeakers every night? Did you know that it has lyrics? Well, now you do!

The creamiest, dreamiest soft ice cream
You get from Mister Softee
For a refreshing delight supreme
Look for Mister Softee

8 Likes

Points for the name of their operation though.

9 Likes

To get away with not paying fines, the release said, the operators created dozens of “shell” companies and systematically re-registered trucks at the Department of Motor Vehicles under the names of different corporations.

tRump would be proud.

13 Likes

crying-baby

16 Likes

Aw Fudge!!

15 Likes

The crazy thing is that these were traffic citations. Probably each ticket was reasonable, but altogether they add up to $4.5 million bucks.

It seems like maybe the city with it’s famous lack of available on-street parking was just not compatible with the mobile ice cream delivery truck business?

10 Likes