New York City seizes 46 ice cream trucks

[New York Accent] Alright, anyone that ratted out the ice cream truck owners will be…

24 Likes

Reminds me of the Pete & Pete episode where their ice cream man disappears:

8 Likes

I’m sure the mayor’s critics will spin it exactly that way; De Blasio Steals Ice Cream From Kids.

6 Likes

Capture

This is a really good book!

5 Likes
4 Likes

Lmfao, this is hilarious

Going after ice cream so quickly is going to cause a lot of headaches to be sure.

10 Likes

Have you seen the Ice Cream Man, the Ice Cream Man, the Ice Cream man …?

As portrayed by the remarkably versatile* Doug Jones in Scott Stewart’s 2010 apocalyptic fantasy action horror film Legion:**

* Jones gets CGI help in this sequence. But he is a physically versatile guy – for example, he played Abe Sapien in Hellboy and Hellboy II: The Golden Army, and both the Faun and the Pale Man in Pan’s Labyrinth.

** Legion is richly blessed with dark and lavish visual style. Is it a good film? (Sure, if you like that kind of thing. I enjoyed it for what it is.) Will lead actor Paul Bettany remember his portrayal of the assault-rifle-toting archangel Gabriel Michael as a high-water mark in his career? (I think not. But it’s no disgrace.)

Update: Michael, not Gabriel (who has bulletproof wings, and is portrayed by Kevin Durand).

8 Likes

I’m guessing mr softee is established and doing things legit. But living in brooklyn I see a myriad of knockoffs. I think I know of at least 4 different songs they play that aren’t the mr softee theme. There’s one down the street from me that’s called “Mr Andy” that plays the “hello?” Version. https://youtu.be/TSIEPRZTgmU

5 Likes

Obligatory Van Halen reference

9 Likes
14 Likes

But nobody goes after the ICE trucks?

10 Likes

They are almost as unpopular as these trucks

But more harmful for children.

18 Likes

Ding, ding!

4 Likes

We can put the impounded trucks to good use:

image https://66.media.tumblr.com/f16259c4b24d8135feea9151623d4c12/tumblr_npiy83vLWa1tpri36o1_400.jpg

17 Likes

As the operators were handing out popsicles from 2009 to 2017 they also were racking up 22,000 summonses and nearly $4.5 million in fines for traffic violations, the city said. The operators had been cited for running red lights, parking near fire hydrants and blocking cross walks, among other things, the news release said.

“We all know from common experience that ice cream trucks are magnets for children,” said Zachary W. Carter, the city’s corporation counsel. “In order to protect this particularly vulnerable category of pedestrians, our traffic laws must be strictly enforced.”

If it was such a hazard, why did it take 10 years to take action on this?
This isn’t “for the children.” This is “for the money.” And the enforcement helps “the children”, sure, but the reason they’re moving now is to collect that sweet, sweet $4.5 million, in whole or part.

5 Likes

Ice cream parlours present their own hazards.

Consider, for example, this cartoon by B. Kliban:

9 Likes

OK, now do the same thing to tax cheats.

5 Likes
6 Likes

Yes, something like that occurred to me as well. Why not sweet corn ice cream? I’ll bet it’s yummy.

Better than wood or liver, that’s for sure.

8 Likes