Look inside this rented apartment secretly rebuilt into fantasy world by eccentric artist

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/08/look-inside-this-rented-apartment-secretly-rebuilt-into-fantasy-world-by-eccentric-artist.html

10 Likes

RE: Official Swanson to BYU

13 Likes

Wild stuff! Also I’m sure this has a lot to do with the building’s age and local climate but I don’t think I’ve ever seen an apartment that had at least three fireplaces. I wonder what the rent was like.

2 Likes

All I see is someone not getting their damage deposit back.

7 Likes

‘the place was an absolute tip’

Part of my job involves cleaning out apartments that have been occupied by collectors/hoarders. I frequently discover really cool aesthetic touches mixed in with volumes of trash.

5 Likes

Renovating a rented apartment is a poor investment.

1 Like

That’s dependent on where you live. In many countries people live in the same rented accommodation for decades, it’s not necessarily a poor investment to make the place somewhere you want to live as long as you are sensible with your costs.

2 Likes

It seems to have lasted to the end of his life. Seems like it was worth it to him.

5 Likes

If you get to enjoy the home you’ve made for yourself until the day you die then does it really matter if you’re renting or not? Seems like the most important thing is to have a home you enjoy while you’re alive.

2 Likes

Depends what you mean by ‘renovating’. Usual practise would be to send in a team of cleaners, paint over any mould, and maybe replace the carpet and curtains. Then you can turn around and rent it to someone else at double what you were asking before. Or at least this is what happened at the place I moved out of last year*.
The UK rental market is fucking brutal :frowning:

(*Only two fireplaces, and they were both sealed up)

2 Likes

Central heating is frivolous continental nonsense designed to undermine the Empire.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.