Looks like Amazon is beating auto parts stores for convenience and price

Originally published at: Looks like Amazon is beating auto parts stores for convenience and price | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Inventory costs money.

5 Likes

Amazon is beating auto parts stores for convenience and price

Well sure it is, just like Amazon has undersold and driven out of existence so many other thousands of businesses.

28 Likes

The real fun is looking for something and learning that absolutely no one, not even Amazon has it. Would really love to get my power window fixed before winter sets in.

6 Likes

Depending on the make/model, there are a lot of used parts folks around. That was the only way for some stuff on the Vanagon.

5 Likes

I had that thought about the sun visor for a Honda Civic. Amazon had one, but the vendor packed it by throwing it in a plastic mailing pouch, and the vanity mirror was cracked when I received it.
At least they have a decent returns policy.
Then I bought one from eBay, and it arrived properly packed and intact. Ebay’s feedback system is useful in that regard.

9 Likes

But without the inventory, why bother with a store? “We can order it” is a useless offer to someone that can also order it for cheaper, faster, and sent directly to their house.

I’ve found Amazon is not as good as Rock Auto for car parts. The shopping experience is worse, and the prices are almost always higher even after paying Rock Auto for shipping. The “free shipping” Amazon offers to Prime members is just baked into the cost of the product.

10 Likes

No joke, just got a pair of Rancho Shocks, heavy duty, for less then half [auto parts stores] for the 74’ pickup.

2 Likes

You just reminded me to check in on the local pick and pull. They didn’t have anything at the time, but it looks like they have two of the exact make and model I have. Power windows here I come (and thanks!)

10 Likes

One thing to keep in mind is that most independent auto shops use those same part stores. If you’ve ever wondered why you always see Napa/O’Reilly/etc cars driving around, it’s because they are delivering parts to shops for same-day repairs. Amazon would add at least a day to fixes that are otherwise-easy for your local mechanic.

6 Likes

Yep, and most retail stores keep inventory at places that cost more then Amazon’s wharehouses (I.e. the back of the store).

The thing I find harder to understand is why when say Pep Boys has an internal price of $80 and a 5 day wait but Amazon is $20 and two days doesn’t PepBoys offer to sell the part for $30 in two days and order it from Amazon? Turn Amazon into the wharehouse for “long tail” items and still make a profit off of anyone figuring “I’ll keep local places I can go to and see items and get them same hour afloat”?

4 Likes

Amazon’s whorehouses?

Hmmmm…

5 Likes

Yeah, but it’s Amazon. That’s a no sale for me. Like, I need a new toilet seat and can get it way easier on Amazon. Instead, I’m going to the local hardware store later and will get whatever they have on the shelf.

Shop local, save the country from corporate dystopia. I know, I’ll never convince enough folks to do it, I’m just farting in the wind.

9 Likes

I have a mechanic in the family, and he swears by ebay for hard to find parts, especially old cars and tractors. It may take a little time, but lots of people part out old vehicles there. It’s hit or miss, but better than walking junkyards.

4 Likes

Auto parts stores have earned this with their obscure pricing and discount levels. I do happen to have a deep discount card which helps, but…

Despite frustration with local chains, amazon.ca is often more expensive for auto parts than some other online sources for Canadians.

1 Like

I do a lot of work in cars. Amazon is pretty good, but I’ve found better luck with AutoZone.com
Last week Amazon delivered the correct oil filter box, containing the wrong oil filter.
AutoZone ships really quickly. O’Reilly was my favorite years ago, but they don’t always have items in stock anymore.

2 Likes

I checked ebay. Everybody seemed to have the part I needed for every door except the drivers side (and they’re not interchangeable). This is the first time I’ve struggled to find a part for this vehicle and I’ve looked for some pretty obscure bits and pieces over the years.

2 Likes

This is appliance-specific but lately I’ve discovered that my local parts store can usually beat online parts retailers and Amazon by a good 20%+. I’ll check Az and PartsDirect for due diligence but usually the local place is the way to go – and usually they have it in stock for same-day pickup.

eBay is first place I look for parts now - and has been for years. RockAuto is still a good source but then they decided that they didn’t want to be involved with collecting local sales taxes for my city and now won’t ship to my house.

I’ve been on eBay since 1998 and honestly, they almost always have the exact part I need for half the cost or less. I always look for OEM parts first and can usually find one sourced directly from a dealer parts inventory still in the original packaging. It’s helpful to do your research and find the manufacturer’s part number first in order to avoid the plethora of 3rd party aftermarket sellers.

3 Likes

They can order it but the sales guy kept trying to sell me the whole housing and I just need the glass with the snap-in fitting. They had that for $80 but it was a one-week wait.

A smart sales guy would have asked you to wait a moment while he “checked the stockroom”, hopped on Amazon and put the $24.19 item in the cart, come back out and said it wasn’t there but you could have it installed in three days for $49.99. One of the reasons bricks-and-mortar auto parts stores are going to lose the battle is because they feel compelled to hire greedy and stupid sales guys like this one.

1 Like