Looks like Apple's renaming Mac OS X "MacOS"

When I worked on the phones at Apple in the 90s in tech. support, we’d ask about the version of their OS, and nobody would ever know, so I’d guide them to the Apple menu to ‘About This Mac’ and most of the time the customer would say “Mac aahs” and I would die inside a little more.

1 Like

Oh man, I love MacOs, they are sooo tasty. I used to live down the street from a really cool Maco Time, and I would go there every Friday night and load up on 3 MacOs for a dollar! YUM!

7 Likes

If they bump the version number when they rename it, people can say “Mac-ohs ex-eye”.

2 Likes

I usually just call it XNU.

Does it come with a volcano and a DC10?

2 Likes

No, that’s just useless clutter. You don’t need all that, clear? :wink:

2 Likes

We’re all clear now.

3 Likes

Soundmaster. That brings back memories.

Of course the truly elite had one of these, too.

1 Like

Here’s hoping version numbers come back in vogue

?

We have version numbers now. El Capitan is 10.11. I’m running 10.11.4 since I’m current with updates. It is in “About This Mac” under the Apple symbol at the upper left.

I have Affinity Designer on El Capitan. No issues per se but doubt it’s really a replacement for Illustrator. I only dabble so it turned out that keeping Inkscape working across OS upgrades was less work than learning a new tool.

:laughing: I wouldn’t hazard a guess as to the percentage … but some percentage of us say oh es echs knowing full well it’s meant to be ten.

Into a box at the back of some dusty closet with all our other regrets we haven’t quite found a way to recycle yet. :laughing:

Eh, version numbers. As they approach double digits, the temptation to make 'em “2000” approaches infinity. Once we actually hit the year 2000, the versions all got weird cuz they couldn’t 2000 anymore without implying the year. Which was fine. In 2000. But then it was XP this, XD that, ME the other thing, “Vista,” then actual years.

On one hand, I like Apple’s idea of marketing its code names. On the other hand, unless the X stood for POSIX instead of 10, Apple has had as much difference between 3-5 of its X versions as any one major Microsoft OS upgrade.

It’s about time to move off the X. Unless it for POSIX. :wink:

1 Like

One more I remember being used for shutdown: Bill Paxton’s character from Aliens shouting “Game over man!”

2 Likes

Haha I miss those days. Is there any modern day equiv for mac?

Some sweet sweet silicon there!

1 Like

“Is this going to be a stand up fight sir or another bug hunt.”

I swear if you had a Mac in the 80s and early 90s it was basically mandatory to have those BMUG sound collections.

1 Like

Did they merge with Chef Boy-Ar-Dee?

Oh dear god.

It suddenly occurred to me that if Cory ever writes about this, he’ll write “Macos”.

I find this thought even worse than “Ios”.

2 Likes

You kids today…

1 Like

If you’re going down that road, then you should be arguing for “OS The Tenth.” Nobody says “Richard Three” or “Henry Eight.” Or “Malcolm Ten,” for that matter.

“Oh Ess Ecks” at least doesn’t contradict every other use of a Roman numeral suffix in history aside from Rocky movies.

Next, in order to shore up their purchase of Beats, they’ll rename iOS as ‘Dr Dre’s OS’ or DDOS.

5 Likes