Lori Loughlin's college admissions scam prison offers yoga and ukulele lessons

in that case you are in agreement with basically everyone you seem determined to argue with.

i can only assume that there are comments which have gotten eaten because i haven’t seen anyone suggesting that.

6 Likes

I agree, which is why the original article should have more clearly contrasted her sentence with those of poor/non-white offenders, instead of using meaningless hyperbole like, “because no one’s ever actually punished when they’re rich.” Only someone who’s never been to prison or been on probation would suggest that she’s not being punished.

How odd.

I’d think that most of the regular mutants who comment here tend towards reforming the existing legal, “justice” and prison systems, as they are all horribly in need of a serious overhaul.

That said, that fact does not negate the White privilege inherent in Loughlin’s case.

9 Likes

Most of us got that it was hyperbole, which in many cases, is not remotely hyperbolic, but is in fact the truth of the matter. Anyone who has been paying any sort of attention to the criminal justice system in pretty much all of US history knows that the system is very much rigged in favor of some people. The problem isn’t that she’s at a minimum security prison, it’s that if she were less wealthy or not white she would not be.

7 Likes

I’m glad we’re all agreed that the problem isn’t that she got to “pick her own prison,” or that she got a “slap on the wrist,” but that the process and sentences for many, many other people were and are grossly excessive.

2 Likes

Holy fucking FUCKSOCKS, this needlessly contrary-ass fucking thread:

Loughlin’s light sentence isn’t the real issue here: the shitty system is.

Most folks seem to be in agreement on that point, so I dont understand the ongoing contention…

14 Likes

I’m only arguing that the sentiment in the original article was sloppy and that, contrary to the article, going to prison before being on probation and paying fines actually counts as punishment.

That’s the suggestion of the original article.

1 Like

No that’s your interpretation of the original article. You could ask the author if that was their intent if you’re unclear.

8 Likes

Personal issues with the way a post is written isn’t actually on topic though; and generally ends up derailing the actual subject, making more work for the mods needlessly.

8 Likes

Stop making sense. I mean come on. /s

1 Like

I genuinely don’t get the piling on here. Your reading of the article, even if one disagrees with your conclusions, was neither unreasonable nor “personal.”

If inquiring about the author’s intent (which is both what you did and what you’re being criticized for not doing, strangely enough) and then discussing only the subject of the piece us somehow “off topic,” I genuinely don’t know what would be considered fair game.

Welcome to BB.

3 Likes

One problem is that the crime committed is simply not within reach of your basic ghetto defendant. Before you can start committing crimez like college entry fraud or say insider trading, you have to have a starting quotient of whiteness and money unavailable to your basic drug dealer in the hood, who’s usually just scratching it out most of the time. He or she could only aspire to elite college admission fraud in their most unrealistic fantasies. So the crimes are really apples and carrots, which makes it difficult to talk about appropriate equivalence of punishment.

Too make it even uglier, one has to recognize the relative scale of punishment-- one has to go to some lengths to make a prison a substantially more horrible experience than that of growing up in racialized poverty in the US. Its somewhat less hard to inflict pain on a pampered 10 percenter of course.

I dunno but from looking at the discourse people are having (not necessarily just here) it is funny to me how suddenly some folks care about the injustice of the carceral system when some shitty actress gets a slap on the wrist and people take a shot at calling out the way privileges can confer benefits to her ilk. Cry me a fucking river. Just my opinion so don’t bother debating me please. People who want expansion of prison punishments and other latent sadists are going to keep finding arguments for that. They’re already committed to doing so. I’m not one of them but I also think having a sad laugh or whatever it takes to acknowledge the stark differences in outcomes for transgressions at different social class levels is… Fine.

5 Likes

No, it’s obviously “advancing the conversation” to make mountains out of mole hills, when everyone claims to be ‘on the same page.’

Personally I really don’t care about Loughlin as opposed to the inequality that her treatment represents. Why some people seem hellbent on turning the topic into a pissing contest is beyond me, unless the intent is to deny or minimize the privilege at play.

8 Likes

“because no one’s ever actually punished when they’re rich.”

I think it’s reasonable to interpret this to mean the author thought that Loughlin isn’t being sufficiently punished.

1 Like

This is a blog, not a news outlet.

The author is allowed to have a personal opinion and to express it, just like you are… and you’re obviously allowed to disagree, but going on and on and on with a criticism about how one sentence (or even the entire article) is framed is a form of derailment.

6 Likes

I don’t have personal issues with the way the post was written. I took the phrase “because no one’s ever actually punished when they’re rich,” to suggest that the writer thought Loughlin hadn’t been sufficiently punished for her crime. I think that’s a reasonable take from that phrase and the absence of other comparable cases.

If the topic is “crime and punishment for the rich” (which I think it is), my opinion that rich non-violent offenders shouldn’t be treated worse in order to start a process that allows poor non-violent offenders to be treated better, is, I believe, on topic.

1 Like

I can only speak for myself. Pointing out that where Laughlin is and how cushy it is seems like stating water is wet. We know she would be in there for two reasons. 1) wealthy white lady convicted a crime and 2) it fits the crime. Which the later is more my only commentary on this. Any person convicted of such a crime and to be honest any canon violent crime IMHO should face this sort of incarceration. There are plenty of other negative side effects to a conviction and our prison system is not the best way to treat the ma

3 Likes

I mean if it were up to me I wouldn’t even use prison for that kind of offense.

6 Likes

IMO, a more equitable punishment would have been making Loughlin pay full ride tuition for some underprivileged minority students, to make up for the spot her kid stole.

9 Likes