Lost for 107 years, Shackleton's sunken ship — the Endurance — has been found

1 Like

one might say that it lived up to its name.

5 Likes

I saw a great exhibition about Shackleton and Amundsen at the American Museum of Natural History several years ago that was cool. But I forgot the details and had to google that specific question. I remembered that it got stuck in the ice but wasn’t sure if everyone escaped.

Oh wow. The book Endurance: Shackleton’s Incredible Voyage made such an impression on me the first time I read it.

3 Likes

Another enjoyable, short Documentary on Shackleton

2 Likes

This is just so fantastic. I am somewhat obsessed by the polar explorers and Shackleton was the man. I have a framed photo of the Endurance in my living room. Next to it is a map that shows the drift of the Endurance and then the march of the crew to Elephant Island. I plan on adding a photo of the Endurance name from this expedition to the wall. I man not include the label for the new captain (@shwonline) or the declaration that it’s dead (@hecep) (funny, though, my name is Jim).

4 Likes

His name is Jim, Jim!

1 Like

For scientific discovery give me Scott; for speed and efficiency of travel give me Amundsen; but when disaster strikes and all hope is gone, get down on your knees and pray for Shackleton.

-Sir Raymond Priestley, Antarctic explorer and founder of the Scott Polar Research Institute (who met all three)

3 Likes

Different expedition, wrong hemisphere, but Stan Rogers needs no excuse.

2 Likes

As interpreted by UTA:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.