Researchers find 22 new photos of early 20th-century explorers, marooned in the Antarctic

[Permalink]

2 Likes

I highly recommend South! The Story of Shackletonā€™s Last Expedition 1914-1917 - the Librivox link provides a link to a downloadable text version of the book and a recording of Shackletonā€™s voice.

His expedition is a testament to what humans can endure and what leadership is all about. While youā€™re reading it, keep reminding yourself that the expedition was undertaken with early 20th century gear. Itā€™s a truly astounding story; Shackleton was a remarkable man.

1 Like

Great stills. Seeing human structure in a barren waste land is chilling.

Truly extraordinary Shackelton recalling from memory the events during the marooning of theā€™ Enduranceā€™ for the ā€˜Southā€™. The courage too continue in face of impossible odds is incredible. Their diet during that time is also remarkable.

You may also enjoy, ā€˜Before the Heroes Cameā€™, T. H. Baughman, addressing Antarctic exploration in the 19th century.

Iā€™ve not read it myself, but Iā€™ve been told Shackletonā€™s Boat Journey: The Narrative from the Captain of the ā€˜Enduranceā€™ (Frank Worsley) is also a good read. This is a link to the Amazon book; I donā€™t know if thereā€™s a free version available (if there is, I couldnā€™t find it).

I would like to recommend ā€œAt the Mountains of Madnessā€ (H.P. Lovecraft) about the Miskatonic Expedition to the Antarctic mountains in 1929.

2 Likes

Shackletonā€™s delay on getting started and his miscommunications with the Ross Sea party were almost criminal. Heā€™s remembered as a hero, but really, it was his own damn fault that two different crews on different sides of the continent were stranded on ice for several years.

Hundred-year-old photos able to be examined and reproduced?

This is exactly why you should print any images you find important instead of just having digital copies.

How could Shackleton know better. it was intuitive nautical venturing. He left Tasmania when it seemed best too pass the pack ice, summer down under, but little was known at that time of the anti-arctic convolution tendency. Much was learned from the fail, including ship structures. Later the aid of steel hauls and diesel motor enhanced exploration and WHALING in the southern quarter.

What seemed most criminal was this foray away from Britain during Her hour of need regardless that they sailed prior too the out break of WWI.

All hands signed too the mast were volunteers and already knew the risk.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.