Lost for 107 years, Shackleton's sunken ship — the Endurance — has been found

Originally published at: Lost for 107 years, Shackleton's sunken ship — the Endurance — has been found | Boing Boing

11 Likes

Shackleton’s saga is legendary among Mariners.

13 Likes

Stunning pictures. Amazing what cold water can do for preservation

17 Likes

what I’d do for a wee dram of his scotch whisky that was recovered…

17 Likes

Guess you’ll have to settle for this.

shaks

(I see this all the time at the liquor store but I’m hesitant to buy it. It does get some good reviews online.)

7 Likes

7 Likes

My thoughts exactly. But it’s only been about a hundred years, I wonder what it will look like in another hundred or three. I recall being in Portsmouth in 1995 and viewing the Mary Rose. It is a vessel from the 16th century and it was kind of a mess when I saw it, although it was submerged in far, far shallower water and remained there for a far, far greater amount of time.

The life that has attached itself to the hull and railings of the Endurance, I imagine those are the kinds of things that will survive once humans are done blowing themselves up or slowly choking themselves to death, along with most, but not all, other life on the planet.

4 Likes

I have a bottle - reasonably good blend.

5 Likes

The article doesn’t mention the first question I had: no one went down with the ship. It got stuck in the ice and eventually crushed by it and sank. The passengers escaped onto the ice and although temporarily stranded, escaped.

8 Likes

Yes, a pleasant diversion from the morning doomscrolling. Cheers to “the Boss.”

1 Like

I wish that, if found, they could retrieve the photographic plates from the expedition, not leave them on the sea floor. Truly an amazing story all around.

6 Likes

Is it better on ice?

I’ll get my coat…

7 Likes

19 Likes

Yeah, but there’s some legendary heroics along the way and a quick summary just can’t do it justice. I suggest listening to this documentary from Minnesota Public Radio, which includes some audio recordings from the original crew:

8 Likes

At this point it has reached equilibrium. As long as the conditions don’t change, it doesn’t matter whether it’s 100 years old or 10,000. It won’t really deteriorate further.
Unfortunately, with climate change, we can’t guarantee conditions won’t change.

6 Likes

1 Like

19 Likes

Wow! Just, wow!

And…

…is why, despite it being a designated monument, it would be fantastic if it could ever be raised and preserved à la Mary Rose.

3 Likes

The documentary “The Endurance” is also an excellent source.

2 Likes

I mean, they didn’t care that there were dead sailors on the Mary Rose…

(Not a criticism btw. I have done the same too many times to have a leg to stand on, there)

3 Likes