Love Hultén plays with music, and sewing machines

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/23/love-hulten-plays-with-music-and-sewing-machines.html

Huh, I expected the noise from the sewing machines to play a part in the music, but it really doesn’t at all, being largely inaudible, which makes me confused about what the point of the sewing machines is here. I think there’s some missing context not provided by the Youtube videos.

4 Likes

via Popkin!

2 Likes

My Singer has been compared to a T-34 in attack mode; maybe I should start thinking about designing art Installations or performances.

2 Likes

I’m really surprised the sound didn’t play a role here. I feel like one could create an interesting variety of sounds from a sewing machine - different tones based on speed, obviously, but slow, short activations would have a more percussive quality than continuous running, etc.

3 Likes

On a straight sritch machine, it’s clack clack clack. On a a zigazgger, there’s also the sound of the needle moving from side to side. In any case, it was pretty much drowned out by everything else.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.