Love the new minimalist design!

{[(hug!)]}

Thank you man. Thank you.

3 Likes

Seriously though, when youā€™re using the Mission Accomplished banner and getting internet hugs because you left the site the same, it might be cause to rethink The Change in the first place.

7 Likes

We realize that every redesign has been hated. We like what we have done and we are sure that someday weā€™ll change again.

We really do appreciate your feedback ā€“ you individually and the rest of the regular group of readers here on BBS that are a part of our regular daily family/gang. We do.

We are very enthusiastic about these changes today, however. Maybe they embody, for us, the emphasis on more 'zine like content and it just makes us happy ā€“ or maybe they really are good design choices for the future.

We really like what we are sharing with you guys today and weā€™re proud of it. A lot of work went into it and while your feedback is valid and good ā€“ please remember, weā€™re going to give this a chance.

I do not recall which side of the Disqus/Discourse line you stood when we made that change ā€“ but here we are, with Discourse and a community we really like.

1 Like

I am not now nor have I ever been a member of the Disqus Party, ā€œconcealedā€ or otherwise. Moreover, I have never been a supporter of that party, its candidates or officers. I have never in public or private, in oral or written statement, endorsed the Disqus Party, espoused its cause or supported its ends. Its tactics and its revolutionary philosophy and objectives are, and always have been, repugnant to me.

However, Newer Boing Boing I just canā€™t get behind. The changes seem to be following the design curve instead of just being outside it and putting a stronger emphasis on the content itself instead of the presentation. Iā€™ll be like (@daneel) and mostly on bbs.

4 Likes

Thanks. This is the only way Iā€™ll read boingboing. Hopefully theyā€™ll listen to the many voices who think the new layout is awful. Slashdot had to re-redesign the page because of the shitstorm they provoked. Donā€™t stop complaining!

3 Likes

Looks like youā€™re rolling it in glitter.

1 Like

So BoingBoing doesnā€™t believe in hiring professionals that know about design.

You canā€™t really guess your way through a design for such a high traffic site, by simply copying bits from other sites (without understanding the reasons)

Bit less traffic now though, Iā€™m saying goodbye for good. The content has nosedive, and I canā€™t be bothered to weed though crap with this stupid new design.

1 Like

Page1 is definitely a good compromise while this new layout is evaluated . I think in the sense of progression you can see an effort to improve the design- it just feels a bit like the learnings were adopted from other sites rather than BBā€™s own inimical unique style (which was pretty minimal to begin with).

Iā€™m definitely in the revert camp; in cases like this am never totally sure if this an inherent dislike of change or because I genuinely feel the change is for the worse - in this particular case I feel like BB has fallen back to sites 7 or 8 years ago - and it was always ahead of the curve, even then!

Sorry to be critical but Iā€™m a devotee and something strongly jars my enjoyment of browsing with the new layout.

2 Likes

I agree with everything you said except ONE thing: I donā€™t think the new layout is prettier at all. Indeed! I think it is far uglier. Too crowded. Not enough white-space.

2 Likes

So you believe that anyone reads past that.

1 Like

Donā€™t you two know that using ā€œsoā€ undermines your credibility?

6 Likes

For some reason the new layout makes me physically ill to look atā€¦feels like a jumble of random information rather than a stream of consciousness.

3 Likes

Thanks for the /page/1 option. I find it easier to follow. The new design seems cluttered to me.

I donā€™t really like the new layout - but I will probably get used to it.

The font though - Jesus. Something must be wrong with my computer. It looks like shit. The main body text is bold, blocky, the alias looks outta whack if you reduce the size at all. Looks bad on the main nav as well.

ETA - I just viewed this in IE and it looks much better. Newest Firefox on Win7 though looks like ass. How can one be serifed, well weighted, and the other sans-serif overly bold?

1 Like

this.

bbs.boingboing.net/new (bookmarked) to see posts added since last time I visited (and hard to miss community-created posts this way)

then maybe bbs.boingboing.net to see which threads are popular/whoā€™s in 'em.

I initially found it annoying that the BBS/Discourse didnā€™t have a chronological view because I wanted to be sure that I saw everything, but using the /new page solves this easily.

with @gwwarā€™s bookmarklet script permanently added to my browser via Greasemonkey, I just mouse-over a headline that looks interesting. it loads right there in a new frame without losing my place in the list of headlines. (I found that the default frame was too small, but played with the numbers a bit for optimum.)

once she wrote that script, I quit going to the main page.

1 Like

Yeah I like that much better. Not that I even really like Tom the Dancing Bug, but the new cartoon wasnā€™t even on the main default page, but itā€™s on the page linked by Kimmo.

So that makes me wonder what else is missing?

ETA - the font still is huge and bold. Is this the way itā€™s supposed to look? Like nails on a chalk board.

1 Like

I was just about to hat-tip @gwwar too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is there a link to this wonder? I love her other work.

Maybe this is because I am already biased against the design, but it seems like the tl;dr for each article is now shorter than the previous tl;drs. Iā€™m not going to click through to read a tl;dr, so if this means that today is the day that boingboing and I part ways, so be it.