Low-cost airlines save real money by making you climb stairs to board instead of using a jet bridge

Originally published at: Low-cost airlines save real money by making you climb stairs to board instead of using a jet bridge | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Aside from monetary concerns, taking the stairs regularly helps keep one’s gluts tight.

23 Likes

How do they handle disabled folks? Carry them up?

17 Likes

What about persons who cannot walk? How does Ryanair accommodate them?

I think I recall tripping on on of those jetstairs. Embarrassing, but, c’est la vie.

7 Likes

I’ve yet to have this happen on Southwest, but then I regularly fly to/from the same 2 or 3 cities. Last time I used an airstair in the U.S. was on United, at ALB, in 1996.

I’ve used stairs several times while overseas & some, but not all, of these were with budget airlines. Ok I didn’t RTFA but I have to figure that the savings of not using a jetbridge is at least somewhat offset by paying for buses to move people across the tarmac (though I suppose a really no-frills operation would make everyone walk and/or eliminate the airstair, as well)

4 Likes

JetBlue used to deplane using stairs both forward and aft at the Long Beach, Ca. airport. Fast, efficient and always nice out.

7 Likes

Excellent question.

10 Likes

I haven’t been to LGB since '86 but back then it was all airstair.

Also (now that I looked at TFA):

And the over-wing jet bridge was developed to handle aircraft like the Boeing 747, using pylons to support a bridge connection over the wing.

Southwest used to do this (with 737s, of course) at AUS, and maybe still do. Using both the fore & aft doors meant even quicker turnaround. It may have only been for deplaning, though.

4 Likes

I’m surprised RyanAir doesn’t make passengers climb a greasy chain to get aboard.

23 Likes

I happen to like using the stairs. A windy tarmac, a wiff of Jet-A, the high whirr of the APUs. To me that the sensations of starting on an adventure.

My two favorite airports in the world are Burbank (CA) and Kona (HI) because you mostly need to use the stairs.

14 Likes

I haven’t done so in many years, but it reminded me of “hops” in the USAF – flights that service members could take at a stupidly steep discount, but you had to be somewhat flexible for timing and where you want to go. I really should have done that more often! I’m not joking when I say the best flights I ever had were in the cargo section of a C-141 – much more comfortable and frankly dignified than anything I’ve ever had since.

19 Likes

I believe that they use the lift system that they also use for loading and unloading catering supplies and cleaning crews and equipment, either on the opposite side from the main door or at the tail of the plane.

7 Likes

Could have been worse.

8 Likes

Some have the platform that goes up the side of the stairs.

Some have a lift either built in to the stairs or nearby.

Others use a motorized chair that climbs the stairs:

20 Likes

Budget airlines have a tendency to use smaller, regional airports, and because they use smaller planes they’re at shorter parking bay (or whatever it’s called) so the walk isn’t likely to be as long.

10 Likes

You don’t like jet bridges?

25 Likes

While I’m a bit nostalgic for the days when you just walked out a ground level door to get on a plane, before jet bridges were even invented, it’s a giant step backwards for accessibility. I don’t think this should be allowed in big airports for “cost saving purposes”, only for very limited and exceptional use.

2 Likes

speaking as someone with severe bone on bone arthritis in my left knee which may never be replaceable due to a history of osteomylitis in the upper tibia of the left leg, i agree that is an excellent question.

15 Likes

Don’t forget that they can also double as corporate vehicles for company executives, so they save money there as well.

24 Likes

Being able-bodied, I’m mildly chagrinned it wasn’t the first consideration that I thought of; though that doesn’t mean it isn’t important as fuck.

11 Likes