Low-fat diets were a "global, uncontrolled experiment"

Ewwww!
Yuck!

It doesn’t sound gross the slightest, at least to me. The whole process sounds like being pretty standard, and the acids and bases used result after neutralization in water and perfectly natural cations and anions.

It’s not the process that is “gross”. It’s the people who are wussies about chem processes.

2 Likes

I’m certainly not anti-chemistry. It’s just that the process they described didn’t particularly sound like food. At least not food I want to eat. Better living through chemistry and all that but I’d rather eat stuff that’s somewhat recognizable as coming from plants or animals. It’s a priveleged position to be able to make that kind of statement but just because something is edible doesn’t mean I want to eat it.

1 Like

One word: lutefisk. Predates modern chemistry by centuries.

5 Likes

What about salt? You can get it by mixing hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide.

I think my ancestors came from too far south for that to sound appetizing but if someone served it to me, I’d give it a go.

Kim chee, sauerkraut, cured olives, dried fruits and veggies, bread dough leavened by using the yeast floating through air, salted or smoked meats, etc. Lots of ways our distant ancestors developed what are – in essence – chemical processes to preserve food, long before the scientific concept of chemistry.

7 Likes

I stand corrected: having demonstrated certain wussy proclivities from time
to time, I confess, in this case, the common man should find nothing at all
unsettling about fat being chemically removed from their food, and replaced
with wood pulp that’s been soaked in hydrochloric acid and ammonia, because
the result is just wood pulp that’s soaked in water and perfectly natural
cations and anions, stuck to your food with perfectly natural gums. It has
been improved, indubitably, empirically, scientifically!

4 Likes

No, actually that’s pretty unimportant. Most people in the developed world get their RDI of vitamins with hardly any effort. The fat soluble vitamins don’t need large quantities of fat, a dab’ll do ya. Even a low-fat diet is sufficient to hit your RDI unless you’re consuming virtually no fat, which is largely improbable. Sure vitamins are essential, but the vitamin Americans tend to lack most doesn’t even have to come from food. It’s vitamin D, from the sun. Mutlivitamins can help populations that are at risk of deficiences, but most Americans simply don’t have a problem in that department.

2 Likes

It is.It s been happening for decades and now the vultures have taken the gloves off ,since the end of the world as we know it is coming closer by all accounts,they are trying to get whatever they can as fast as they can,no matter how many die in the process…
The enemy has always been the few rich perverts who want profits on the backs of the rest of humans.Capitalism uis called stupid.and for a reason it is the most hated system today…it is to be hated.it is to be destroyed.unless you want to die.becuse you will if you dont resist.they will sell your corpse for profits…6thee are your capitalists bankers and vultures.these are the ones you want to destroy.not fat…:):):slight_smile:

You might want to read what you quoted over again. The diet as mass murder trope began with arguing against carb restriction.

The key word there being “extra.” Problem is, the low-carb diet got translated as “eat all the bacon I want” diet, and coupled with the new “saturated fats are good for you” headlines, bacon consumption is way, way up. Not a great idea to eat a lot of salty processed meats, as there are links with heart disease, diabetes and cancer.
The problem with these American “healthy eating” fads is that they inevitably involve replacing foodstuffs with things that are even worse for you. The problem with the anti-saturated fat diet was more about what people (specifically the people making processed food) replaced the fat with - it turned out to be sugar. The low-carb people replaced bad and good carbs with processed meats, and the ridiculous anti-gluten movement is seeing gluten being replaced in foods with sugar and saturated fats. (I’m tempted to just call all Americans stupid, but really people are seeing their leisure time diminished to the point where they’re cooking less and relying on pre-made foods that rob them of dietary control.)

4 Likes

Hey everyone!
You do realize that every December the British Medical Journal (BMJ) does a “joke” issue and this article is from that issue. Every Christmas the BMJ publishes research whose premises are a bit off kilter.
In the same issue is research supporting Male Idiot Theory which is the theory that men are idiots.
http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g7094 (The Darwin Awards: sex differences in idiotic behaviour)

4 Likes

Starting with beer!

In my experience, anecdotes are usually correct.

5 Likes

Sausage making. I mean, for reals old-fashioned natural-casing sausage making.

Or head-cheese.

Or blood-sausage.

‘Good Calories, Bad Calories’ by Gary Taubes, which is one of the most infuential, well-researched and convincing pieces debunking the ‘lipid hypothesis’ (eating fat causes heart disease and obesity) in favor of the ‘insulin hypothesis’ (excess refined carbs are a more likely culprit) also has a few things to say against the credibility of the ‘being fat is your own fault, you lazy glutton’ viewpoint. I believe most serious, non-diet-selling ‘low carbers’ would agree.

2 Likes

I’d have to agree. While choosing a healthy diet is complex, it isn’t an impenetrable mystery - as you can see if you travel to other countries (both poorer and wealthier than the US). Genetics may explain some of the issue, but it can’t be that much of a factor when this scale of obesity is fairly recent and genetic cousins in other countries (or in different parts of the US) are a lot healthier. Walking around many midwestern supermarkets, it seems to me that the whole sense of taste is off: plain, unprocessed foods are pretty rare and flavoured foods that are high in salt, sugar and other additives are much more obvious. If they don’t get that level of sweetness or taste from those substances, it’s from something else that may be doing more harm. If it’s marketed as whole grain, this only represents a small proportion of the grains because it still needs to taste almost the same as before. I don’t know exactly what people are eating, but you get a fairly good idea of the balance when you see the kind of foods that people take to the checkout. Going to restaurants, you can see a big difference in the amount of food that people eat, and the kinds of foods involved. Fast food was obviously a bigger part of people’s life. Coffee was often a large portion of mostly cream, milk, sauces and sugar rather than simpler ingredients. Some people are really unhealthy, and it doesn’t surprise me. I also met plenty of healthy people, and they tended to have a lot of things in common - whole foods, a reasonable, balanced diet and plenty of exercise. I don’t think it’s necessarily people’s fault, but (with a number of exceptions) they are doing this to themselves. Some areas are really not built around healthy lifestyles and the messages that people receive in places where they buy or eat food are not balanced.

It’s only with vanishing rarity that I eat in chain-type restaurants or buy any sort of prepared food, so I notice the changes in how things are formulated over time. Increasingly I find I’m completely out of touch with American tastes and the amount of salt and sugar in foods is inedible. This tallies with what I read - that the amount of sugar in prepared foods has been steadily increasing in the US. For people who eat pre-prepared foods, they’ve probably not even noticed the change - it’s been steadily increasing until the point where the “new normal” is extremely sweet. And to make matters worse, a cursory examination of ingredients doesn’t necessarily reveal this - I notice that food companies are increasingly masking sugar content by coming up with new names for it “evaporate cane juice,” etc.

Portion control.