Lower-case "x" as a gender-neutral typographic convention

Latinchrist?

I don’t know if anyone else finds this weird, but I just don’t even imagine how these words would be pronounced. I guess it’s a prudent thing to think about before you end up needing to say one of them, but it’s like in my head I imagine there is some way I could simply pronounce the shape of two crossed lines, sort of like in my head I could tight-rope walk. Seems so easy.

4 Likes

But for some words the “x” ending is expressly feminine, like aviatrix or executrix…

2 Likes

I’d pronounce it as “mssh”, but I’m not a linguist.

Still less awkward than “zhe”!

Yes and for the most part they’re outdated and the formerly ‘male’ version is now gender-neutral.

No modern wills label someone the executrix of the estate rather than executor if the person happens to be a woman, for example.

1 Like

I like it better than people calling for the ‘thorn’ symbol to be reintroduced. It’s… ‘Hey can we at least have something I can find on a keyboard without remembering ascii codes please?’

‘x’ works! I’m gonna run this by a few transgendered/intergendered friends/associates to see what they think (regardless of preferred pronoun on their part. just a ‘hey how does this look to you?’)

From the standpoint of me as writer writing something that’s gender neutral I find this appealing because i dislike ‘it, they, them, their’ when talking about people/characters. I had that problem when writing a mostly robot-centric story where nobody but a few had gender leanings. I realize french and other languages are even worse where everything has a masculan/femanine bend.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind Thorn making a comeback as a written letter though.

Makes more sense to me than ‘C’, which can be replaced in almost all contexts with an S or a K without changing the words pronunciation.

2 Likes

Not until we can communicate with each other telepathically, no.

7 Likes

Me and Mx Jones; I can accept that.

:slight_smile:

10 Likes

Hehe! I guess I’ve just fretted about speaking aloud words I’ve only ever seen written since high school, when I said aw-ree instead of a-wry and got lacerated for it by my eng lit teacher…

2 Likes

In the “Latina/Latino” case, “Latin@” is well attested from several years ago. Of course, Mx looks much better than M@.

2 Likes

Oh, gendered tone may still continue into thoughtspeech, I’m sure.

I’m suddenly curious how all that works in ASL.

1 Like

Again my counter is ‘you’re wanting o force a LOT of people to cater by introducing a symbol nobody uses that you can’t find on either american or european keyboards on an edge case matter.’ Admittedly I’d like a few of the old contraction letters to come back to help with handwriting (my handwriting ended up stalling out in elementery because I dunno, vision I guess?) Thing is none of them would be good to have for a form heavy’how do I easily andquicly type this’ world we live in.

i agree something should be done to accomidate, and at the same tiem i hate zir zher, and all because as another poster stated… it looks and feels artificial.

Mx/X’s problem is… ‘how do I pronounce this?’

ex ax

?

It’s deeply ingrained so you’re probably right.

:slight_smile:

But I was being silly while addressing the need to for language to keep evolving; because we can not ‘Vulcan mind meld’ yet, we must rely on our written and spoken words.

2 Likes

I’m sorry Mx Jackson

10 Likes

FUCK YEAH!!! I <3 language!!! OMG… am so gonna start Using My Power For Good™ with this… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

On reflection, “M” is also perfectly serviceable as a gender-neutral honorific… even has cultural history with the stage production…

And on further reflection “Mx” also diminutivizes into “Mixxy” FTW!!!

2 Likes

Good Golly, Mx Molly…

4 Likes

Mx. Yz Ptlk was long misunderstood by Earth people, who tacked on a “Mr.”

13 Likes

“even Shakespeare used singular they” I love pointing at half a millennium of use of they as singular gender-nonspecific pronoun, and giggling in response to the pedants* who argue that their 60s, 70s, 80s elementary school teacher said “they” wasn’t singular.

* Caveat emptor: I am both a professional and non-professional pedant, so, like, whatever… :wink:

17 Likes

I use the singular they a lot. I work in a professional job and nobody has noticed, or they follow suit without realizing it. Turns out if you just use it, it slides right into conversation without a hitch. I can’t say that for the other non gendered pronouns.

11 Likes

I was coming to say that as well. I personally love the M. designation. It is a single letter, and can’t be tied to any specific gender or gender identity (IMO). It also rolls off the tongue easily, and is quickly adopted due to simplicity of the rules.

1 Like