LSD: new scientific study shows microdosing elevates mood and cognition

I haven’t taken psychedelics but i’ve read descriptions of people going through them and it sounds like an intense and hypervivid nightmare. It can also make the person going through the bad trip to do harmful and unsafe things to themselves or others if the freakout is bad enough.

2 Likes

I’ve tried Salvia Divinorum when it was still legal, and had kind of a bad and good trip at the same time. I vividly hallucinated my whole body burning to white ash, starting at the legs. It also felt like my psyche burned with it, until only consciousness remained. It was very pleasant, in a nihilistic way :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A quick search in the 2nd edition doesn’t mention niacin, niacinamide, or nicotinic acid as a way to moderate or stop a trip.

ETA: 2nd edition of Peter Stafford’s ‘Psychedelic Encyclopedia’. I should have replied to @bobbaloo.

1 Like

You write notes before a 3-tab trip? How the hell do you read them during?

I’ve been looking into this. I’d welcome any advice you might have.

Ha, very elastically!

But really I don’t mean stare at something for eight hours. Think about a personal challenge going IN to the evening. Memorize it to the point of asking yourself it during the night. A small sentence asking a question is easy to keep referring to later. I’m just suggesting making positive use of the time.

I find myself to have a VERY sharpened cognition on acid, personally. It’s difficult to read typed paragraphs in a book, obviously, that’s impossible - but my own handwriting is really connected to the experience. It’s a wild spiderweb of text on the paper when I wake up though.

I suppose a good question has been the cause of my own bad trips, though I consider them good trips. Bad trips are, I feel, an exposure to yourself that you’re not pleased with or a trauma of your past you haven’t confronted. If you have abuse in your past that you aren’t aware of, that can be a bad trip, but it can ease healing, as you’ll be aware of the trauma.

You can also call your own bluff on being an asshole, too.

Years ago, I got extremely shame-filled about a side of myself that was fairly phony. A side of me that was bullshitting - in a really specific way that might have been why some friendships failed, all my fault. That can be horrifying to realize, particularly as I think I avoid those traps. But acid showed me one very embarrassing tendency I had, and suddenly I saw a filmstrip of all the times I had done it. This wasn’t a hallucination so much as a court trial in my head for my worst habit. Talk about a blessing! It was a bad trip, I suppose, but I’m so fucking appreciative for it. Basically my own brain told me off, right to my face, and in a way no one else could.

The question going in had NOTHING to do with a broken side of myself that needed to be ironed out, rather LSD tricked me by me asking something more vain. Its answer on a question that bordered on being self-obsessed was to suddenly roll a tape of moments for me to watch of some of my worst behavior. What a moment. But the embarrassment and grief of REALLY SEEING MYSELF in those moments was the answer LSD provided. Of course, the farther into to being an asshole the worse this can be, and maybe that’s what a lot of bad trips are: Personal honesty.

But yeah, reading while tripping is somewhat tricky, but if you ask a good question you’ll have it a mantra by the time the electrical current starts kicking in. Miracle Drug.

2 Likes

Canada! And most Home Depots and Amazon have everything minus the spores, but there’s a shopping trail on that. I don’t do shrooms because of the toxicity of psilocin for me, I get a hangover from mushroom tea — but lots of forums on the web, even just ones on growing normal kitchen vegetables, will answer this. Then it’s like yogurt, you can grow them forever.

This list looks pretty good:

And this one in particular,

2 Likes

Of course, the the other thing one should be careful about is buying bromo dragonfly by mistake. Cos there’s a weekend nobody’s getting back…

The last time my partner and I dropped, our ‘topic’ for the evening was entropy, and pondering various forms and aspects of life as negative entropy. Twas fun and instructive.

I’ve only had one ‘bad trip’ and it was a huge sobbing clue by four of grief and pain from both recent and less recent trauma and loss, alongside a brutally honest assessment of the current state of my life, my health, and all that fun stuff. It’s been a long time since I did, but the couple times I ‘talked people down’ from actual bad trips was more along the lines of “OMG, I broke my mind, I’ll be stuck like this!” and just reassuring them that they were okay, things would seem normal again in the morning, etc.

I’m not minimizing the reality of a bad trip, either. But I was schooled well at a young age on the importance of set and setting. Between that, always doing my best to roll with whatever I gotta roll with, and of course some luck, I’m not yet shit-throwing-crazy.

I’d read about that party in 2000 before, but had never seen Dr. Hoffman’s Problem Child accused of having anti-inflammatory properties. That could explain… some things.

1 Like

99.5% of the time it’s an intense and hypervivid protracted SQUEEE. There’s a reason the song is called Illegal Smile. I’d say that the most common affect for someone on LSD would be to oscillate randomly between a twinkly grin, protracted fascination at seemingly ordinary details, and manic determination to do whatever possibly harebrained thing they have very recently decided is just an absolutely stellar idea. Often these traits are seen simultaneously, much to the bemusement of bystanders, sober or otherwise.

And if a tripping hippie gets on your nerves with all that shit, just put some good headphones on them and watch their eyes dart around trying to follow the music like a cat with a nine-dimensional laser pointer while you enjoy the peace.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.