Lynda Barry is a Macarthur "genius"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/25/the-very-best-of-marlys.html

12 Likes

I hereby nominate all MacArthur awardees to honorary Happy Mutant status. Can I get a second?

10 Likes

Lynda Barry is an absolute genius and I’m so glad to see her be so honored.

Now, if Drawn and Quarterly would just get around to publishing Volume 2 of the Lynda Barry: Everything series… it’s been five years since Vol 1!

13 Likes

I had the good fortune of being able to work on the initial stage adaptations of “THE GOOD TIMES ARE KILLING ME” in Chicago first at Live Bait and then at City Lit Theaters.

She is a national treasure.

8 Likes

I was surprised to see guitarist Mary Halvorson in the list. I like her playing but it can be pretty ‘out’ for most folks, good to know someone up there can hear what she’s doing.

2 Likes

This is AMAZING. Lynda Barry is who got me drawing and journaling again - two things that I credit with turning my life around over the past few years. I can’t think of a more deserving individual.

6 Likes

POODLE WITH A MOHAWK!!!
I loved reading her comix in The Rocket back in the 80s here in Seattle

5 Likes

Lynda Barry is a genius.

2 Likes

“you can have a much candy as you want… as long as you draw each candy.” - from Syllabus.

5 Likes

I have known for a long time that she’s a national treasure; glad to hear about this recognition!

Barry is a hero of mine; she lives her art every day, and also teaches; she seems to have the most persistent belief in human creative art.

Her Instagram posts feature her drawings and artwork, and also the work of her students:

And she’s touring the country soon in support of her new book, Making Comics, which seems based on this course she taught in 2017:

4 Likes

Lynda Barry is near retirement age. Not that she will retire any time soon as far as I know, but a lot of the time the MacArthur Awards seem like achievement awards rather than help-for-struggling-artists-showing-potential, which is what they claim to be. Or at least that’s what I always imagined they were supposed to be. Anyway, she should have won this 20-30 years ago, so at least they’re making up for the oversight.

1 Like

I guess that there might be an issue with finding struggling artists showing potential rather than picking deserving artists from a better known line up.

Lynda Barry is Funk Queen of the Universe.

3 Likes

I saw that at Live Bait, fantastic show!

1 Like

Lynda! Barry! Is! The! Greatest!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.