Lyudmila Pavlichenko was the deadliest female sniper in history

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/14/lyudmila-pavlichenko-was-the-d.html

8 Likes

I wonder if she has a great-great-granddaughter they could send over here.

2 Likes

Whatever do you mean by that?

4 Likes

Try the YPJ for current day equivalents.

They are a bit busy with IS and Turkey at the moment though.

7 Likes

They even put her on a Soviet postage stamp, twice:
The most impressive thing about her service record: among her confirmed kills are 36 enemy snipers.

The medal shown is the highest Soviet decoration, Hero of the Soviet Union.

11 Likes

That time when you didn’t just teach history, but became history.

6 Likes
10 Likes

Don’t do that. Just don’t.

4 Likes

You know with a few more like her men can finally stop being afraid that women will laugh at them.

1 Like

There was a halfway decent movie about her made a few years ago. Although the title deals with the Battle of Sevastopol, most of the film is framed by her visit to the White House and meeting Eleanor Roosevelt and Woodie Guthrie

3 Likes

Probably was the inspiration for a fictional novel set in the siege of Leningrad. Danged if I can recall the name of the book. It’s told to a young man by his father? uncle? who meets said sniper during a rather harrowing sequence of events; they survive the war and of course get married.

1 Like

While touring the United States with Eleanor Roosevelt, Pavlichenko was bombarded with absurd questions from the press about fashion, hairstyle and whether she wore makeup into battle.

She endured them at first, but as the tour progressed her patience thinned, and she began to boldly chide the Americans for their condescension.

“Gentlemen, I am 25 years old and I have killed 309 fascist occupants by now. Don’t you think, gentlemen, that you have been hiding behind my back for too long?”
Chicago, 1942

Good photos in there.

7 Likes

8 Likes

I’ve linked about this book before, but it was an education for me about the Russian Soviet side of the war, and about how some women basically would not be denied about fighting in combat (for one thing, with the nazis invading their country it was either fight or die):

2 Likes

The deadliest sniper in general was our own Simo Häyhä. A farmer from eastern Finland. He killed over 500 Russians in WW2 and survived an explosive round to the face. Then went back to work.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.