M*A*S*H on COVID-19

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/06/mash-on-covid-19.html

7 Likes

All the more impressive when you remember that the actual Korean War only lasted three years.

20 Likes

Nobody has a favourite season of the war, though. Except maybe the finale, which is fair enough.

8 Likes

True. And I suppose the actual war probably felt longer for a lot of the people who had to live through it.

11 Likes

Just in case the video isn’t immediately loading in the OP or the article on click-through to Laughing Squid for others like it isn’t for me, here’s the video…

9 Likes

Plenty of re-runs too.
“Fuck, this again!”

4 Likes

Brilliant!

3 Likes

I’m going to guess the editor had the transcripts of all the episodes, then did keyword searching(?)

3 Likes

But I will say the show improved when they lost Frank and gained Charles. Charles was far more of a peer to Hawkeye. Who could dish out the silliness as much as he took it. Plus he had some of the best emotional character moments of the show.

10 Likes

For self-quarantining, I was expecting the clip (IIRC?) where Frank Burns is taunting Hawkeye, who’s on house arrest.
“I can go in, and I can go out. See? In, out, in, out.”

I may have the players mixed up, but you get the point.

2 Likes

Forget, “it was a baby!!”, the ultimate heartwrenching moment in the finale was this, when the war took away from Charles the one thing that gave him solace, music

3 Likes

I will never forget it was a baby. It shocked me at the time and it still does.
But this, too, yeah.

1 Like

There was an episode where the flu was running through the camp and they were desperately trying to keep everything staffed as people were dropping left and right. That one keeps coming to mind as I read the news.

RIP David Ogden Stiers. My favorite Winchester moment is the Christmas episode where he threatens the guy who runs the orphanage after finding out he had sold the fancy chocolates Winchester donated on the black market. The guy explains that the money he got for the chocolates was enough to buy the children a month’s worth of rice and cabbage. His arrogance instantly melted away and he apologized.

5 Likes

Thanks! Updated my post.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.