100 TV shows ranked by their final episode

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/25/100-tv-shows-ranked-by-their-f.html

3 Likes

ALF didnt make the list?

14 Likes

This is great and all, but why does it come from a title loan company?

6 Likes

I’d be curious to see this sorted by genre. That would make it easier to compare and/or filter out series never watched.

2 Likes

A) TitleMax?! As they are a company excelling in predatory lending and seriously sketchy financial bullshit, I struggle to see their involvement on this particular subject except as a ploy to keep the unwashed masses distracted by media enough to not learn basic math skills or further themselves in any significant way.

B) Any such list that leaves St. Elsewhere, The Sopranos, or more importantly, Newhart, out of the top 20 should be summarily dismissed.

C) Any such list that includes Lost or Twin Peaks within the top 5000 should be summarily dismissed.

23 Likes

How much tastes have changed, huh?
And also “monster of the week” X-Files may have some legs
but the over-arching story just didn’t age well.
And…
… where is Firefly

9 Likes

20 Likes

Sopranos is there. I think the arbitrary time window excludes St. Elsewhere and Newhart.

I’m wondering about Six Feet Under, which is my vote for best series finale of all time.

8 Likes

They did wrap up every single thread, which is unusual for any series.

5 Likes

Not to mention Soap, whose final episode was obviously the inspiration for The Sopranos’ cliffhanger ending. Heck, they should have renamed it “The Soapranos.”

4 Likes

Why is “Goodbye, Farewll, Amen” so low?

6 Likes

The Sopranos finale was unfairly maligned in my opinion. They successfully wrapped up all major outstanding plot arcs and the infamous cut to black was set up earlier with Bobby’s observation “You probably don’t hear it when it happens.”

So maybe not a “great” finale but one I was fine with. It sure beat the crap out of the way they wrapped up the Godfather franchise anyway.

2 Likes

Maybe they should have a special category for shows that had episodes that were written under the assumption they would be the series finale before the show was revived/renewed for one or more additional seasons. I nominate:

• Arrested Development season 3 finale (“Development Arrested”)
  • Breaking Bad season 4 finale (“Face Off”)

Others?

4 Likes

Very funny. Lost never aired its final episode.

2 Likes

I find the comparison of final episode to series ranking perhaps most interesting. Some shows are pretty consistent and others are wildly off. Could be cool to see show average, season average, and individual show plotted to get a real idea of consistency.

1 Like

An ending has to be extremely bad to be worse than “Pretty Little Liars”. I never watched the show, but I started laughing when my niece told me that the villain she’d sat through seven seasons to see revealed was a minor character introduced only toward the very end of the run.

3 Likes

I have to nitpick;

Vince Gilligan always intended for BrBa to be 5 seasons in total, and by that point the show was a bonafide hit for AMC so it was never in any danger of being axed.

7 Likes

It looks like they took the “hottest” 100 shows (“Our Most Popular charts use data from the search behavior of IMDb’s more than 250 million monthly unique visitors to rank the hottest, most buzzed about movies and TV shows.”), and ranked the final episode among those shows.

Newhart would be pretty high up there based on its 9.6 rating, it would be somewhere between #13 and #15 or so.

St Elsewhere’s final episode only rates at 8.0 for whatever reason, so it would be down on the list. Still ahead of Seinfeld’s last episode though.

3 Likes

Glad someone mentioned Newhart. That would be the best series finale imo.

11 Likes

I shouldn’t be surprised that a car title loan company is a content publisher, but I still am kinda stunned.

2 Likes