Mad hamster performs backflips

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/31/mad-hamster-performs-backflips.html

3 Likes

It’s rabid?

3 Likes

That’s me after one too many tipple.

1 Like

The Behavior Problem Behind Hamster Backflips When a hamster does repeated backflips, it’s a sign that something is wrong.

16 Likes

“I trust you…I trust you…I trust you… I trust you…”

1 Like

At first I thought, “I’m going to have to watch this hilarious hamster for an hour every day!” Now I’m more depressed than before, just depressed in a whole new way.

1 Like

It’s weird, when you think about it: animals in distress are just as amusing to watch as animals that are simply enjoying themselves in an unusual way. when I visited the aquarium at Golden gate Park many years ago, a dolphin swam in a loop in its tank, hitting it’s head on glass every time it passed. While that wasn’t as amusing to watch as this little guy, neither was it taken as a sign that something should be done.

As far as the suffering that’s caused, neglect isn’t really much different from abuse.

4 Likes

This type of abnormal behavior has often been observed in animals kept
in stressful situations, such as small enclosures or overcrowded
environments.

That’s what I was thinking. It may have adopted this behavior while standing up on the perspex walls trying to get out?

2 Likes

Enough with the political commentary already.

2 Likes

This is why cruelty to animals was considered good fun for the whole family until the late 19c. Then liberals had to ruin everything.

4 Likes

In Peru they call this marbling the meat.

You’re right. Politics doesn’t apply to the ones inside the cage.

Perhaps it is just trying to fix a bad back?

1 Like

“The rites must be observed…the rites must be observed…the rites must be observed…the rites must be observed…”

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.