Made-for-TV super salesman Ron Popiel has passed away

But that’s not all! It came with a set of rubber ninja throwing stars!

7 Likes

giphy-3

7 Likes

But hey, you can use it to catcall all the ladies from your car so everyone around knows how much of a d-bag you are!

4 Likes

Little known fact, he was catcalling a dude. Still doesn’t make it right.

2 Likes

"Yes. Ron Popiel has passed away… but that’s not all!" (I’ll be very angry if no one includes that in their eulogy.)

5 Likes

When I was a kid the family had a cottage on the lake, it’s been my full time home for 30 years now. Last fall I cleaned out the rafters in the garage, I found my dad’s Pocket Fisherman, it still worked.

I couldn’t bring myself to throw it out because my dad recently passed away. It’s hanging on a hook in the garage. I’ll let my daughter toss it when I bite the big one.

5 Likes

“If you pass away before midnight tonight, we’ll throw in a second tombstone free! That’s right, just pay $99.99 additional shipping and handling, and your second tombstone is free!”

9 Likes

When USPS prices were more reasonable, I’d mail stuff like that to some unsuspecting old friend, and then wait for the WTF call…

6 Likes

Clearly you have never been to a karaoke bar… :wink:

5 Likes

It has to work at least as well as the fishing gear in those Altoid-sized “survival kits”.

3 Likes

How can this be the first time I’ve noticed that this is a B-52s parody?

6 Likes

I remember the Mr Microphone ad .
God that was bad.
I do not recall any one in the family ever buying any of the junk

3 Likes
5 Likes

“Hey, good lookin’! We’ll be back to pick you up later!”

2 Likes

Took me a long time too. Its one of his style parodies* vs a direct one. If you aren’t familiar enough with the group it can just come across as a silly song Al does not realizing the bulk of his work is still parody.

*i find his style parodies to be superior works. Its simple to write new lyrics to a song. But to create a new song that sounds like the original group did it? Genius. Al and his long time band are deeply talented. Legend has it that mark mothersbaugh has a long standing beef that Al was able to out shine Devo at their own game.

3 Likes

Over “Dare to be Stupid.” That’s actually in reference to what he said on a VH1 Behind the Music special. “I was in shock. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever heard. He sort of re-sculpted that song into something else and… I hate him for it, basically.” I doubt there is actually any real beef there.

2 Likes

This was not about Ron Popeil, but about his father Samuel.

Ron’s sister Lisa sang background on this track.

1 Like

Confirmed.

If you are that hard up for a portable rig, try hand fishing rigs.

Is that fishing rod thingy what Marty uses in Sneakers to lower the ultrasound detector into Cosmo’s office from the ceiling?

1 Like

“To prove our coffins can handle the heaviest loads, we murdered this 300 lb. man…”

1 Like