Bizarre commercial for "Popeet" extendable food storage containers

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/24/bizarre-commercial-for-popeet-extendable-food-storage-containers.html

2 Likes

I’m not seeing the problem. Just make sure they’re clean after using them for liquid goods.

6 Likes

Seems a bit hard to do though unless using the Popeet corrugated brush sponge to wipe out the crevices using amazing patent-pending micro-hairs™ technology to remove stubborn curry, boiled turkey fat, and even week-old macaroni cheese residue. Just wipe, wash and squeeze dry! (sold separately).

Also tangent: I do wonder if in 100 years time people might look at this and think, “Where the absolute fuck did they think all this plastic they were making was going to go?”

11 Likes

Some pizza chain (I think it was “Little Caesar’s”) used to sell a similar container for to-go soda in the late 80s/early 90s, if memory serves… I remember using one to carry some Captain Morgan mixed with grape soda (long story) to a house party in college. A friend dubbed it “Captain Accordion.” Worked well for that…

9 Likes

You have a great memory! There are some on eBay.

7 Likes

They honestly don’t look any more difficult to clean than 90% of my kid’s various drink/snack containers. A decent bottle brush or long-handled dish brush would make short work of these.

7 Likes

but… patent-pending micro-hairs™!

9 Likes

Ha! I was pretty sure it was Little Caesar’s. They made an exquisite noise when collapsing/expanding, as well. My brain holds on to some very unlikely things…

1 Like

There was a weird trend in the late 80s for accordionized containers like this. I recall that you used to could get powdered beverages – Country Time lemonade leaps to mind – in one of these containers, the idea being that you buy it collapsed, and it has the appropriate amount of powder to give the right concentration when the container is fully popped out and filled with water.

It was a whole thing. I think the trend was mostly beverages, for exactly the reason that makes Popkin recoil at the idea. But there were a number of non-beverage-targeted endeavors like this one as well.

2 Likes

My mother, that’s who. She was not very culinarily inclined whatsoever. As I recall, they were terrible and we stopped using them quickly.

3 Likes

We had those when I was a kid. Also ketchup and mustard containers, special ones with pumps. Fun!

2 Likes

mmm, bisphenol-flavoured

1 Like

With a name like Popeet, I was expecting this to be an invention of Ron Popeil.

3 Likes

Surely this would be from Variable Sized Caesar

4 Likes

“I’m grateful that these containers are a thing of the past”

these seem like a pretty good idea, especially for dry goods. so they are a bit more difficult to clean, but they offer improved functional benefits over regular containers, fair trade-off. not seeing why the author is so opposed to these containers.

1 Like

it was!

ours ( some other brand ) quickly wore out. the joints tore because a certain someone kept opening and closing them ceaselessly, annoying everyone with the sound. no more were bought after that, despite my that certain someone’s nagging

Cat Spinning GIF

5 Likes

I like how they count the caps as a “piece,” doubling the total from 10 to 20.

1 Like

This is standard fare for things like cookware and storage containers. Also, perversely, tool sets, where they’ll sometimes toss in a bag of screws and breathlessly advertise “250 pieces” for, like, half a dozen screwdrivers and a socket wrench set.

1 Like

Screws, wall plugs, and a bag of wooden dowels. Don’t forget the left-handed metric allen key set.

2 Likes

The product may be a bit wonky but I didn’t find anything bizarre or funny. Maybe need to be smoking a little something first for that?

2 Likes