Magical History Tour

Good to know a white dude has an opinion.

1 Like

Cypher is substantially more centrist than my usual preferences (and, as you note, a white dude). Most of the things that I collect to use on BB are deliberately chosen to be palatable to a largely white and non-radical audience.

Any recommendations for better material on 1919?

1 Like

Not really. Just tired of white men dominating my profession. I’m probably just jealous, I guess?

2 Likes

Righteously pissed off, perhaps?

What little solidarity I can offer from here is yours.

3 Likes

This thread:

5 Likes

Andrew Watson, Scotland’s (and the World’s) first black international footballer.

A lot of history is missing (this is common from that time) and historians are still trying to piece it together.

It would be 97 years before the England team would finally do the same, when they called up Viv Anderson to the national first team squad.
4 Likes

Pan Am flight attendants conducted their own special missions during the Vietnam War

Quite interesting for a number of reasons.

3 Likes
1 Like

I know. Thanks.

1 Like

I grew up around family owned dairy farms. Every single one is a multimillion dollar agribusiness. Same with the blueberries. (The fun part is that it’s hard to tell if the friction between the two is entirely based on the differences in businesses practices – like the use of blueberry cannons which are legitimately terrible – or the fact that the “upstart” berry farmers generally aren’t white).

3 Likes

For others who want to read some more detail about this, i certainly learnt some new things…

4 Likes
7 Likes

Hah! I just posted that in Black Lives Matter Still.

Great minds think alike, etc.

5 Likes

Probably a good idea to put that in as many places as possible! It’s the kind of historical discussions we need to be having around policing and race in America. :grin:

5 Likes

Thread:

8 Likes

TLDR: Black American soldiers, deployed to Australia in WWII, were pushed beyond breaking point after sustained racist abuse and mutinied. The mutiny was violently suppressed, and the coverup was organised by then-Congressman Lyndon B Johnson.

For more on the experience of WWII Black American soldiers in Australia, see:

7 Likes

I was in Townsville last year and that was the first time I heard of the mutiny, and I was in the Army for over 20 years.

The 96th Engineer Battalion that mutinied was deactivated after WW2 and never activated again. Units in the army often reflag for heritage reasons but no unit has ever been called the 96th Engineer Battalion since.

Thanks for the video links!

5 Likes

I did not realize that The Star Spangled Banner wasn’t even officially our national anthem until 1931, and it was due to concerted Southern white supremacist activism pushing to override the two songs preferred by the Northern states (America the Beautiful and The Battle Hymn of the Republic).

6 Likes

I think we should make the full version of “This Land is Your Land” by Woody Guthrie our national anthem…

8 Likes
5 Likes