Magical History Tour

I suppose it depends on your definition of “colony”, but I’m surprised there is no mention of the Viking settlement of L’Anse aux Meadows (ca 1000CE) which preceded the others mentioned by over 500 years. There’s evidence the Vikings stayed at the site for at least a few years before abandoning it, making it more successful than, for example, Sable Island.

6 Likes

Shout out to SNORRI!!!

7 Likes

Apparently people are still taking lessons from them

4 Likes

This Snorri is named after that Snorri.

SNORRI!

10 Likes

Give Snorri a scritch, please!

Excited Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

6 Likes
6 Likes

I have spoken a lot about every pseudoarchaeological and fringe theory under the sun. But rarely have I talked about the implications and dangers of pseudoscience as a whole. How pseudoarchaeology is one of many routes into a dangerous anti-intellectualism pipeline.
This video is on just that topic. A live lecture that I did at Virginia Tech back in March discussing the dangers of pseudo archaeology and how it is promoted by an algorithm that is (un)intentionally radicalizing viewers.
Id like to give a huge thank you to Virginia Tech for hosting me for this lecture, and I hope you all enjoy.

7 Likes

Article in the LRB by Forensic Architecture’s Eyal Weizman.

“Israel and Germany’s insistence on the singularity and uniqueness of the Holocaust opens a gap between the histories of antisemitism and racism to such a degree that these two forms of political power fuelled by hatred are pitted against each other.”

5 Likes

9 Likes

“chaos bisexual”… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

FYI, some discussion of sexual assault…

4 Likes

Night club in ATL that also later had a punk/new wave night…

:thinking:

[ETA]

[ETA]

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/04/19/greek-children-adoptions-cold-war-00153120

3 Likes

This Day In Comic Book History

April 25, 1939

The Red Tornado is a fictional character, a superheroine in the DC Comics Universe, debuting during the Golden Age of Comic Books. Created by Sheldon Mayer, she first appeared in her civilian identity as Abigail Mathilda “Ma” Hunkel in All-American Publications’ All-American Comics #3 , published this day in 1939, and became the Red Tornado in All-American Comics #20 (Nov. 1940).

In her prime, Ma Hunkel was a surprisingly strong woman. Many who encountered her often believed that the Red Tornado was, in fact, a man, a notion that helped protect Ma’s secret identity on more than one occasion. She was one of the first superhero parodies, as well as one of the first female superheroes, and, when disguised as a man, one of comics’ first cross-dressing heroine.

Ma Hunkel was also a great cook with an ability to feed a large group of people which included the Justice Society of America.

IMG_3759

7 Likes

A short history of the Z80 (and what might have been).

Also, Captain Zilog:
https://www.computerhistory.org/collections/catalog/102646293

Zilog.Z8000.1979.102646293.fc.lg

7 Likes

A milestone in South Africa:

Also, an interesting report about the 150-year history of the Kentucky Derby:

8 Likes

1994 was something of a momentous year, huh?

6 Likes

FYI, some spoilers for season 2 of Good Omens!

[ETA]

[ETA] We’ve been having discussions around issues of copyright in entertainment (specifically about whether parodies are protected speech) for a while now… this is an article about Jack Benny and a Gaslight parody that was broadcast in the late 50s…

4 Likes
7 Likes
8 Likes

Remembering the Four Dead in Ohio at Kent State University, May 4, 1970, and the idealism and righteous indignation of students - then and now.

11 Likes
6 Likes