Majority of UK booze-industry revenues come from problem drinkers

I can attest that it mixes well with bourbon, though I’m neither a very heavy drinker nor very wealthy (by local standards).

3 Likes

Yes, ginger Beer & Whiskey, I’m up for that right now.

2 Likes

I call it, “beast of bourbon.”

Also;

I’m pretty sure its all a conspiracy…

1 Like

2 Likes

Cory does not mention this, I think, but the problems really started after the Blair government removed controls on pub opening times and supermarket alcohol sales. They also opened the way to more problem gambling by removing controls on betting. They did this partly because the drug pushers were using their right wing media outlets to oppose the “Nanny state” - something which for some reason did not apply to cannabis or ecstasy, both safer drugs than alcohol. The Blairites also failed to regulate junk food.

The new government has also completely failed to restore the status quo ante blairum, despite constant complaints about the cost of health care. It would be nice to follow the money on this, but I’m not holding my breath.

2 Likes

What specifically is the problem referenced by the honourable gentleman?

(source)

5 Likes

I agree. It does very little to prevent it, and makes life even harder for people struggling from this addiction. It also makes enjoying a drink now and then more prohibitive for everyone else.

This does help, reduces the number of people who start down such a path, I’d also add a system where people who do struggle from addictions can get free help/support to get free from their addictions if they so choose.

7 Likes

Not to mention the alchohol adverts plastered all over the underground. Tobacco advertising was banned decades ago, but alchohol ads are still going strong, promising glamour and sun and sexytime.
Warning labels?
Drink responsibly and don’t operate heavy machinery” is all I’ve seen.
Yet it’s the ‘killer weed’ Cannabis that gets demonized as being capable of ruining the children and rending society asunder and must be stopped at all cost.
I’m teetotal too, maybe that’s why I see it everywhere.

2 Likes

It’s actually slightly less than two drinks a day.

5 Likes

Be happy for the booze ads. Any place that shows a bottle and the related glamour is a place that does not show an ad for financial “products”.

2 Likes

I’d rather neither, thanks.

1 Like

You’re welcome, you don’t have much of a choice.

The booze ads are the better ones, generally. And some of the alcohols even taste pretty good.

…out of Irish Cream error, grumble…

2 Likes

If the only ads you see are for booze and financial products, you need to think about moving. There’s plenty of choice. I see tonnes of assorted ads in meatspace. Just seems stupid to demonize tobacco advertising whilst promoting alchohol advertising.
Come watch some of the ‘glamour’ on the high street on a friday night. Not so glamorous really. I used to drink, never heavy, but it always made me dizzy and nauseous with a cracking hangover, even after only 3 or 4.
Tea and a spliff’s more my cup of … er … tea.

2 Likes

Another thing to bear in mind with these figures is the not well supported categorisation of people as ‘problem drinkers’, just look at the UK’s recent nonsense alcohol guidelines - which are based on completely unsupported assumptions. There is very little evidence that moderate alcohol consumption is particularly harmful, ignore the ideological driven agenda of the public health lobby.

5 Likes

146 units is about 16 bottles of wine.

A bottle of wine contains 6 drinks-- so it will last you 3.5 instances of getting every so slightly drunk. You’ll need 2 bottles to last the week, assuming a once daily dosage.

Absolutely- I recommend marijuana instead.

6 Likes

Now if only someone had tried that already so we could see how it turned out.

The ones that taste pretty good are expensive.

Economize!

3 Likes

Wow, that looks awful!

Where can I get some?

5 Likes