Majority of UK booze-industry revenues come from problem drinkers

Yes, yes but you are buying Cory’s headline and not the actual study.

The Fine Article says only that the majority (60%) of the revenues come from the 20% of the population who drink above the government’s 2013 recommended weekly limit of 21 units for a man or 14 for a woman.

4 Likes

If this sort of badly researched alarmist nonsense was being deployed against pot smokers, Cory would be the first to point it out - but when there’s an “industry” to attack, he’s happy to peddle it. Drinking in the UK is falling, year on year, as is problem drinking. The recommended consumption on which these stats were predicated was a guess to begin with. The industry in need of regulation here is the public health industry - churning out ever more dodgy stats to justify its continued existence and to regulate what people choose to do in their own time and with their own bodies. [Apologies if slightly grumpy - dry January…]

7 Likes

Confession: I drank this kinda thing my first year out of college. But nowadays I don’t know why anyone would drink that stuff when you can get bottom-grade California wine that’s maybe $1 more at most but a million times better.

2 Likes

Oh man mad dog… I tried a taste of that and it was like grape flavored syrup. I could see where it might be worth a cocktail additive for flavor but otherwise that is just pure hangover in a bottle.

At a British supermarket?

The great thing about this article is that it only slams high strength Lagers and Ciders. Guinness is an Stout Ale. And at 6-7.5 percent alcohol, you can get just as pished.

Ah, Diamond White. Happy memories. White Lightning, too. Or K, if I was feeling classy.

1 Like

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/wtsn.mp4

oh, hai @pixleshifter

1 Like

This is starting to really bug me about the craft brew scene. With the cold weather I would find myself at the store looking for a porter or stout, and all the stouts were 9% or higher and no porters without bizarre flavors. I understand that a stout is… stout, but it doesn’t need to be quite that high to taste good. I just want something nice, not to get sloshed. Stone Smoked Porter is perfect at 5.9% and I love the taste but it has all but disappeared from stores. I hope they aren’t discontinuing it.

2 Likes

Yeah, 7.5% isn’t really all that high. 8.1% is fairly common for cheap malt liquor here, and Four Loko is 12%. But only poors drink that stuff; there’s no shortage of IPAs, Belgian Trippels, barleywines, etc. that come in at 9-15% ABV.

2 Likes

and a Guinness Draught comes in at 4%.

I’ll have two please.

4 Likes

I picked up a 22 of Guinness Extra Stout from my local (snowed out and shopped out) safeway because all the teetotalers on this thread were making me thirsty. The label reads “Malt Liquor”. Hmm.

1 Like

I’ve found that as I’ve switched over to pretty much exclusively craft beer, the actual volumes I consume are way down. Also a factor, I’m now an old.

The evenings of drinking 8 pints of Guinness are long gone. Which is probably a good thing.

5 Likes

that one (“Extra”) is 7.5. “Draught” is 4 (including the can)

As a former employee of a Canadian Macro-Brewer, I can say that this is the same in Canada. The major breweries are well aware of it. I’m not sure how much it impacts their advertising techniques, but it is no secret.

3 craft beers at 9% is almost 8 Guinneses’ of alcohol, pint for pint.

2 Likes

There’s a Foreign Extra Stout at 7.5%. Extra Stout is somewhat less-- 6 percent.

1 Like

…if you walk into a pub, and duck just in the right moment to avoid a pint glass of beer flying your way, does it make you a draft dodger?

10 Likes

Indeed. I would also point out that the definition of a “binge” on those figures is consuming more than 8 alcohol units in a day. Which translates to less than three pints of 5% beer. Finished your third drink? You’re officially a dangerous binge drinker.

8 Likes

And that’s totally not an unreasonable amount of alcohol. Nobody I know in either France or Quebec drinks less. It’s one thing to bring up real alcoholism where people routinely get drunk on a daily basis, and another to to shift the boundaries to basically mean everyone non-Mormon and non-Islamic is an alcoholic.

10 Likes

Given typical metabolism rates, a few doses a day are required.

1 Like