Make a sourdough starter to bake bread during the pandemic

How will you wreak your revenge?
Yeast-themed vigilante/superhero?

2 Likes
3 Likes

First off, congrats on the loaf! Delicious bread you’ve made yourself is always satisfying but your earliest loaves are extra special.

Second while trying not to be too pedantic, that recipe is not technically sourdough. While people associate it with a taste, it’s just bread you make with wild yeast instead of commercial yeast. If you take your time and start with a “sponge” or pre-ferment made out of flour and liquid you’ll definitely have more delicious bread. So definitely worth the effort, just not technically sourdough.

1 Like

While I’m a big fan of experimenting with wild yeasts and there is yeast in the air and I started my starter with all the “letting breath” traditional approach, it’s probably not entirely true.
Most of the yeast is probably going to come straight from your flour and then it’s a matter of keeping it hydrated, well fed and at the right temperature more than well ventilated. There was an interesting experiment posted on the fresh loaf, which is up for debate, but does show you can get a bubbling started without worrying about catching yeast.

4 Likes

One of the lesser-known benefits of wild yeast starters is they do a better job of consuming starches. Most commercially available yeasts, especially the rapid rise varieties, aren’t as efficient and the amount of carbs are higher than a dough that’s made with wild yeast with a longer fermentation time.

1 Like

Making sourdough for a few months now. Getting great results from my WW starter.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Great idea

I neglected my starter a couple years ago and it grew black mold (once that happens it’s pretty much unrecoverable.) But I had some dried-out flakes in the pantry!

After a few days of feeding, it’s back to doubling in size overnight. First bake will be today!

2 Likes

Yeast social distancing.

1 Like

It’s one of those “useful for restarting civilization” key books. Everyone should have a copy! Note: there’s a digital copy on Scribd. No idea on the quality of the scans, but there you go.

2 Likes

Spent grains, peanut butter, and a little flour also makes for great dog treats… our rescue mutt loves them!

@jlw, can you change the category of this topic to avoid it closing in a few days?

I’ve heard it about making a starter before, but I thought it was too much trouble to keep it.
My brother had already done it in the past and now we are doing another one which I will try to keep for me.

2 Likes

Removed timer.

5 Likes

I was just wondering if I’d finished my bread in time to post to this thread! Thanks for letting it stay open!

Best ears I’ve gotten since my first loaf of sourdough back in 2017. I think a fresh razor blade helped.

10 Likes

I’m new to sourdough bread making, although I’ve been making sourdough pancakes, waffles, and breads with sourdough added for decades. But the true thing? just recently.
So I have a question about lames - or rather, a lame replacement. We have many exacto knives and utility knives, very sharp kitchen knives, and no actual razor blades. I’ve always slashed dough with a kitchen knife, and it’s worked for baguettes and the suchlike. Is it worth it to get a real lame, or razor blades to make one?

1 Like

You could always throw a double sided razor on a chopstick if you want to do it on the extra cheap, but any super sharp implement aught to do just fine. If what you’ve been using works, roll on.

3 Likes

Paring knife works just fine.

4 Likes

I mixed 3/4 c white flour and 1/2 c water for the starter and it’s a big wad of dough, what did I do that was wrong?

More water!
When I made mine from scratch, I used 1 cup each water and flour.

1 Like