I woke up my long refrigerated sourdough starter

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/18/i-woke-up-my-long-refrigerated.html

4 Likes

I asked this on IG but you ignored me :sob:

Did you add any fresh yeast to the starter or the bread or only starter to the flour/water?

I feed my starter regularly with a bit of flour and a few bits of a Sage Honey to keep it alive. Not sure if I have to keep it up or not. Its gotten a beautiful sour funk to it now.

2 Likes

After slicing, that looks delicious.
But before slicing, I’d be concerned that a facehugger might be about to jump out.

4 Likes

I answered you on IG. The spoonful pictured is the yeast I used.

I would not add anything to my starter but flour and water. Honey could only introduce bad yeast.

6 Likes

This looks great.
I’ve not yet tried my hand at sourdough - though I have many times done the “no knead” bread recipe to make loaves in my dutch oven as well. Turns out awesome in there.

3 Likes

Ah. I probably missed it in my notifications. puts away the kleenex

When I got the starter going it never quite had the funk to it it should have. so I kept up the added sugar to see what I could get. Its worked well but havent been sure if I should keep going.

1 Like

Sugar will feed the yeast but honey has all sorts of yeast in it from nature.

3 Likes

I love honey starters. Sure, water and flour will get you a starter eventually, but a tbs of honey in the mix gets it quicker :slight_smile:

1 Like

Soon it will expand to cover California…

2 Likes

@jlw You better not keep your sour dough next to your alien eggs, or one groggy morning you are going to have a face hugger on your face.

1 Like

That bread looks delicious.

15 Likes

Darn. You beat me to it.

1 Like

Ia Cthulhu! Ia Shub-Niggurath!

2 Likes

What about cooked honey?

(Also: GODDAMN! That pic has my mouth watering! Kudos! :slight_smile: )

Yeah, but you took the time to photoshop it. “Tips hat”.

2 Likes

SIX MONTHS in the fridge? Jeez. The longest I’ve dared to keep it alive in the fridge is about a month.

If you want to do safer long-term storage - or backup! - of a starter, spread it out on parchment or silpat, and let it dry for a few days until it comes off like chips. Then freeze it and rehydrate as necessary.

Some people freeze starter directly, too, but I’ve never tried that and I’ve heard some cultures aren’t very tolerant of it. The quicker you can freeze it the better, though, so you’d probably want to freeze it in an ice cube tray to maximize surface area and bag the cubes.

1 Like

Omnomnom!

1 Like

Indeed! I just threw out some ale yeast that I kept the last time I brewed because it had been in the fridge about that long. Maybe it would have still been fine but I didn’t want to take the risk.

1 Like

Now if someone could just send me some of the Lactobacillus sanfranciscensis you bay area folks have down there naturally, perhaps I could actually create some reasonable sourdough up here in Canada.

3 Likes

I can send you some when you get to Austin.

2 Likes