I woke up my long refrigerated sourdough starter

I am absolutely taking you up on that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can order sourdough starter cultured dried online. Amazon has it, do a search.

1 Like

Ive gone over a year with this starter. It wakes up in 2 feedings.

3 Likes

I know. But it can’t be shipped internationally.

1 Like

“legally”

2 Likes

You don’t have to ship it internationally.

4 Likes

Looks like a xenomorph crossed with a geode.

3 Likes

Just when you thought Geology was as safe hobby…

4 Likes

Well that’s new! Thanks for the head’s up!

1 Like

A DIY friend into all things yeasty once told me that one batch of a particular bacteria is “different” from another batch of the same species (separated by time and the grower). Is that so and – if so – would the “bay area” bacteria (although “different”) be reasonably close to the same species grown in Canada? Or could differences in taste/texture/appearance be noticed?

1 Like

I don’t think it ever was. Rock slides. Used as a weapon. Geology kills. :wink:

4 Likes

What I imagine would happen if I tried this at home

giphy

9 Likes

As I understand it, no, it would be different, and that’s why my sourdough will never compare to the yeasty goodness of SF sourdough (which to this day I still have dreams about, damn you Boudin!). However, as I understand it, regular additions of Lactobacillus sanfranciscensis over time is supposed - in theory - to help give it at least some of that flavour profile.

I’ve of course never tried that, but that’s what by brief discussions at culinary school have lead me to believe, at least. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The one time I’ve had what I could call incredible bread was many years ago here in SoCal, and that was from a local bakery. Now, though, small, brick-and-mortar locals are dying fast here. And although I spent my youth in the home kitchens of fantastic, family cooks, baking was effectively never done. Oh, well.

1 Like

When you guys get serious about this discussion:

https://www.questforsourdough.com/quest-sourdough

6 Likes

Jason- I re-upped my login just to comment here.

That’s a GEE-orgeous boule! I’m envious, having been in search myself of the perfect chewy crust and rustic crumb on display here. Bravo, sir, bravo.

Lest my attempt at flowery prose be misconstrued as sarcasm, what I mean to say is that’s a beautiful bit of bread. Really, really beautiful.

I usually end up with something looking suspiciously like a dusty, bloated, blond pancake, with a crumb akin to shortcake. It ain’t pretty.

3 Likes

Thank you.

Or this! We now have more than 800 starters in our library.

6 Likes

We now have more than 800 starters in our library.
Is it ready for the quarterly rally ‘against’ the kitchen, then? This book “I baked you a nice LAMP” in the Joire CTF Series is a real pot-boiler…

In geode cookie and breadmaker space, nobody can hear you scream JESSE!? The 50 Best Cookie Recipes in the World | I Am Baker
So a big bag of size-sorted roasted garlic or fennel or rutabega or gelatinized emerald-cut kohl rabi and duck egg (as colorable crystals) later, and maybe some starter from Elysium Health, you can get bread with sprouted wheat that doesn’t actually self-split continuing to sprout on the board, right?

Nice demo, thanks!

4 Likes

giphy

2 Likes